Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trucker shot at by bandits - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Trucker shot at by bandits - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Feb 7, 2022), durrelltn (Feb 12, 2022), EnginePaul (Feb 19, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Feb 8, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 12, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 7, 2022), Rangi (Feb 8, 2022), rlm98253 (Feb 12, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Feb 12, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Crazy. He saw people in the road and he knew it was coming. Car jacking is so bad in South Africa that you can actually get flamethrowers for your car.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mccwho (Feb 8, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Feb 8, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 12, 2022), rlm98253 (Feb 12, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    I've considered, rapidly extendable, spring-operated, knives that tuck under the vehicle's frame. They could be deployed when appropriate. Might cut the perps down a bit.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    I've considered, rapidly extendable, spring-operated, knives that tuck under the vehicle's frame. They could be deployed when appropriate. Might cut the perps down a bit.
    I wonder if you could do some modification of the deployable snow chains so you have plausible deniability. ...if you live somewhere that gets snow. If you live somewhere like Florida it might not work so well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 12, 2022), Rangi (Feb 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    It is shameful we have to even be talking about this stuff, but I acknowledge that we do.

Have to make sure that you have the sides of your car waxed really good with that flame thrower. Lots of logistical problems with deploying the flames. It only works in a very specific situation. You have be already in the car with the doors closed, and no innocent people on the other side. Imagine you and your spouse getting into the car at the same time. You see the jacker approaching and freak out, get in close the door, activate the flames, your spouse is not yet inside. Yikes

The spinning tires chains only spin because the hub bears against the side of the tire rotating tire to make it spin. So your car has to be moving.

Another solution would be to actually prosecute offenders to make it no longer profitable to use crime as a way of life. This includes ALL offenders not just then ones who steal to simply survive. Perhaps most importantly those who do less physically violent crimes, but perhaps MORE socially despicable "white collar" crimes just so they can buy a bigger yacht, or fuel their airplane or pay for the tenth house apartment for their mistress, pay their green fees, etc

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

drivermark (Feb 8, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Feb 9, 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Crazy. He saw people in the road and he knew it was coming. Car jacking is so bad in South Africa that you can actually get flamethrowers for your car.

What's amazing is that they have actually installed that in 25 vehicles

Sort of reminds me of the beginning of the original RoboCop movie. The "Magna Volt" commercial. It had me saying, "I Want one of those!"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I wonder if you could do some modification of the deployable snow chains so you have plausible deniability. ...if you live somewhere that gets snow. If you live somewhere like Florida it might not work so well.

Michigan or New Hampshire plates?
    That model was not high grade fabrication suitable for a trade show demonstration booth...but the idea is creative. Maybe not ideal in severe off road conditions, but equal elsewhere to conventional chains.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    That model was not high grade fabrication suitable for a trade show demonstration booth...but the idea is creative. Maybe not ideal in severe off road conditions, but equal elsewhere to conventional chains.
    It's a neat idea, but I think it's of limited value in practice. Every time I've needed chains is because I'm properly hung up somewhere, and the wheels are spinning. At that point the vehicle is not moving forward and the chains (probably?) can't swing under the tire to provide traction. Who knows, maybe it would still work great. But I can't picture how that would work.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Some cities back in the late 1980's or early 90's started installing them on their metro buses and a few trucking companies at least tried them. The problem is you need to be aware of when to deploy them and do so before you get in trouble just like the sand nozzles which were tried at various times.
    on a tandem axle semi you need them on both drive axles plus locking in the power-divider but without interaxle differential locks you still just have 2 wheels pulling.
    The laws in different states may require chains on at least 1 trailer axle for braking purposes so if you are going to have to chain up the trailer anyway unless you have a way to deploy them on your trailer via an electric activated air valve, what advantage are they on a semi? Straight trucks and medium sized vehicles will benefit more from these than a tractor trailer rig.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

imfwelder (Feb 12, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Feb 10, 2022)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=mccwho;197420]What's amazing is that they have actually installed that in 25 vehicles

One needs to bear in mind that it was marketed more than 25 years ago. Paranoia is a dangerous thing.

Thread Information