Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tube flaring bit - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

Tube flaring bit - GIF

Tube flaring bit.

Previously:

Tube flaring pliers - photo
    Tube straightener - GIF
    Copper tubing bender - GIF
    Pipe flange spreading tool - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 19, 2020), baja (Aug 19, 2020), clydeman (Aug 22, 2020), Crusty (Aug 19, 2020), dubbby (Aug 19, 2020), durrelltn (Feb 26, 2022), Inner (Aug 18, 2020), JoeVanGeaux (Aug 23, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Aug 18, 2020), Rangi (Aug 22, 2020), Scotty12 (Aug 18, 2020), tooly (Aug 18, 2020), Tule (Aug 19, 2020), will52100 (Aug 18, 2020)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think I will be making this! Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I looked at a set of them last year, pricey. Seems easy enough to make from tool steel and then harden. Also saw a youtube video of a HVAC tech that drilled a hole in the side of a suction manifold, and used this tool to make a raised surface, in this case he was installing a thermostatic expansion valve reference pressure tube, on a large system. This produced a stronger hole to braze the tube into.

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    I wonder if this would work on EMT electrical conduit. I will be making one of these as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mlochala For This Useful Post:

suther51 (Aug 19, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    In the video it appears that the pipe is handheld while being flared. I wonder if that is true? Seems as if the tool would generate a fierce torque on the tube.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

katy's Tools
    That's a swage not a flare.
    Tube flaring bit - GIF-swage-vs-flare.jpg

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

Altair (Aug 24, 2020), Heiner (Aug 22, 2020), jlmealer (Aug 23, 2020), Jon (Aug 19, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Aug 20, 2020)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    I wonder if this would work on EMT electrical conduit. I will be making one of these as well.
    I don't think so, as you need a soft drawn copper for this to work, i.e. it will not work in hard drawn copper. In steel, it will spin and make heat. The other issue is the EMT connectors provide ground bonding between pieces, if you were to swage them, you would have to braze the pieces, and the zinc oxide that is part of the galvanized plating is not good to breath in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I don't think so, as you need a soft drawn copper for this to work, i.e. it will not work in hard drawn copper. In steel, it will spin and make heat. The other issue is the EMT connectors provide ground bonding between pieces, if you were to swage them, you would have to braze the pieces, and the zinc oxide that is part of the galvanized plating is not good to breath in.
    Aside from original use of emt, simple socket joints would have no end of usefulness in emt.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Aside from original use of emt, simple socket joints would have no end of usefulness in emt.
    I did not articulate that very well, but that was my point. I can't think of a non electrical use where swaging the pieces together would be of value, but mlochala may have some application.

I have the old style swaging tool where you use your flaring block to hold the copper tube, then wack the swage tool with a hammer. The benefit of this tool is it appears to burnish the copper. Where I've seen them used is on youtube videos where the HVAC tech is replacing compressors or filter dryers, and fitting in the tubing stubs to the existing system without using couplings.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    You can soften hard drawn copper by heating it up red hot and cooling it in water. I do it quite often when I am running pipes in weird places.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

jlmealer (Aug 23, 2020), YOUCARS (Aug 25, 2020)

Thread Information