Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turret lathe tooling and fake carbide

Thanks

theeddies's Tools

Turret lathe tooling and fake carbide

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theeddies For This Useful Post:

Altair (Nov 17, 2021), Home-PC (Nov 17, 2021), nova_robotics (Nov 17, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Nov 17, 2021), tooly (Nov 20, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Sandvik is a garbage company and it's astounding that they occasionally produce a quality product. I used to work for them. Those probably aren't fakes, they're Sandvik factory rejects that they just sold anyway.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

theeddies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Sandvik is a garbage company and it's astounding that they occasionally produce a quality product. I used to work for them. Those probably aren't fakes, they're Sandvik factory rejects that they just sold anyway.
    You are the second person who worked for them to say the same thing. I received a reply from them about whether there was a way to tell if they are authentic and they said "nope, buy from a dealer". And they seemed to not be interested in knowing who the seller is. So you are probably right.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by theeddies View Post
    ...they seemed to not be interested in knowing who the seller is.
    That's a fairly damning statement. But they also could be Chinese fakes. I really don't know or have any inside information. All I know is that Sandvik are bad people. Some of the things I've seen are jaw dropping. To the point where you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    What did you do for Sandvik, clerical work? Sandvik have excellent products. They are innovators of many new products and are well respected in industry. Sandvik products are expensive but you DO get what you pay for, hard wearing and long lasting products - these aspects are critical for mass production.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sanders View Post
    What did you do for Sandvik, clerical work?
    I was Project Manager on a high profile multi-million dollar construction project. What are your chops there chump? I love how people worship and get defensive about objects and companies that they like. Absolutely juvenile.

Edit: You know what? I wasn't going to write anything else but the spoiled children have pissed me off. Sandvik nearly killed multiple people on my jobsite on two different occasions, then lied about it and falsified documents after the fact. But you keep right on insulting people on internet forums because you have used a company's product in the past. Forget you.
    Last edited by nova_robotics; Nov 21, 2021 at 07:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 21, 2021)

Thanks

theeddies's Tools
    I was Project Manager on a high profile multi-million dollar construction project. What are your chops there chump? I love how people worship and get defensive about objects and companies that they like. Absolutely juvenile.

Edit: You know what? I wasn't going to write anything else but the spoiled children have pissed me off. Sandvik nearly killed multiple people on my jobsite on two different occasions, then lied about it and falsified documents after the fact. But you keep right on insulting people on internet forums because you have used a company's product in the past. Forget you.
    Here is the other persons comment that worked in the heavy equipment division
    "It was crazy. Under-designing load bearing parts, major suspension linkages (also under designed) snapping and nearly killing people, no engineering stamps on anything, they forged certifications and paperwork on structural drawings.... they would actively not pay vendors and subcontractors and then they'd try to sue everybody within a 10 mile blast radius. You need a team of Philadelphia lawyers just to clean their office bathroom. Just a garbage company."

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by theeddies View Post
    Here is the other persons comment that worked in the heavy equipment division
    "It was crazy. Under-designing load bearing parts, major suspension linkages (also under designed) snapping and nearly killing people, no engineering stamps on anything, they forged certifications and paperwork on structural drawings.... they would actively not pay vendors and subcontractors and then they'd try to sue everybody within a 10 mile blast radius. You need a team of Philadelphia lawyers just to clean their office bathroom. Just a garbage company."
    That was actually my comment that I posted on Youtube the first time I had watched your video. So you really only have my word on the matter, and perhaps the sales rep you were speaking to.

But suffice it to say the job I did for Sandvik was one of the worst of my career. However I will go on to say that they had a very bad reputation in the area, and we were warned multiple times not to take the job (which of course stupidly, we did). This was a number of years ago, however I will also go on to say that if you do a bit of research (which unfortunately I cannot provide a link to) they recently had another major safety incident because a Sandvik designed machine collapsed mid-air while an operator was in the operator cab. There were no fatalities.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

theeddies (Nov 22, 2021)

Thanks

theeddies's Tools
    That's ok, I think there are a lot of fan boys that don't realize that just because a company CAN produce good products does not mean they cannot still be a **** operation. If I ran the company, I would care about all the fakes or rejects out there and take all measures to prevent it. From my limited interaction they don't seem to care which does make you wonder about the corporate culture.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to theeddies For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 22, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools

What's your problem???

As a qualified fitter and machinist for 52 years, I have used Sandvik Coromant carbide tooling and used it under very heavy loads. Their product is good.

I too worked for Sandvik. As a very capable technical writer with an engineering background I developed documentation for Sandvik iron ore handling machinery (stackers etc.). I could see from their drawings that the equipment design was inadequate and yes, I agree their engineering design and manufacturing process were a shambles. I raised this poor quality with one of the "designers" and was told "Sandvik use just enough material to do the job". Of course "just enough" is NOT good enough, I realise that just as others do.

One thing that must be made clear. The original poster was discussing carbide tips. These are manufactured by Sandvik Coromant, a totally different part of the Sandvik "banner". The original "garbage" response was not really warranted as the "garbage" references were to Sandvik "engineering" side and have nothing to do with Sandvik Coromant tooling.

It seems to me that you have not been involved with Sandvik Coromant and not using products made by Sandvik Coromant. I can empathise with the circumstances you describe and understand your resentment, but THIS original post was not/is not the place to express your aggravation.

Additional comments about Sandvik construction/engineering are unnecessary. I do not "worship" or "defend" Sandvik products, my original comment was to advise that genuine Sandvik Coromant carbide products are excellent. If users can pay the extra cost over cheaper carbide tooling, they receive a premium product. My original comment was relevant to the OP's post.

Best wishes...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Sanders For This Useful Post:

theeddies (Nov 24, 2021)

Thread Information