Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: The Ultimate Diy DC Treadmill Motor Controller

Supporting Member The Aussie Shed's Avatar
    Thanks

The Aussie Shed's Tools

The Ultimate Diy DC Treadmill Motor Controller

Just a quick Vid posted to my Youtube Channel.
    Most of this footage was buried in another video & have had a few folks ask for a separate video.
    Hope you like it.
    Cheers.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to The Aussie Shed For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), Altair (Jun 26, 2019), DIYSwede (Jun 26, 2019), emu roo (Nov 10, 2021), EnginePaul (Jun 30, 2022), Floradawg (Dec 10, 2021), Frank S (Jun 25, 2019), GnadFly (Jul 9, 2019), high-side (Jun 27, 2019), Jon (Jun 27, 2019), lassab999 (Dec 29, 2022), olderdan (Jun 28, 2019), Saltfever (Jan 1, 2022), Sleykin (Nov 11, 2021), Smokin Diesel (Jul 11, 2019), Sprig1 (Jun 26, 2019), tbdl (Jun 30, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,247 Times in 9,724 Posts

Thanks The Aussie Shed! We've added your DC Treadmill Motor Controller to our Electronics category,
    as well as to your builder page: The Aussie Shed's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Thanks again, for yet another good video! Clear, and to the point.
    I particularly like your "rant" about grounding, (but then I'm an electrician also).

Just my 2+2 cents:
    a) -Are you having a GFI/ RCD on your shed's outlets as well?
    Good thing to have before you'd need it, especially when rolling around outside with mains cables attached.

b) -Are there any RFI suppression capacitors/ A K A "condensers" built into these treadmill motors?
    Also a good thing to have, as the back-EMF can be pretty nasty upstream at the rectifier/ SCR (see "d" below).
    Should optimally be hooked from each brush to motor case, and one between the brushes for good measure.

c)-Have you tried checking your installations re: RFI?
    Caps as per "b" will take 'em down, and an easy, cheap check is to put an AM radio
    (tuned between stations) in the shed and listen before and after each improvement.

d) The ferrite cores found molded-in on old computer VGA cables or in electronics can come in handy for noise suppression-
    just shove the phase & neutral leads thru it, as many turns as you can cram in, close to the SCR output.

I won't comment on your touching the ungrounded case in the test fire-up...

Cheers from DIYSwede (approximately at your antipode)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Mate. I love your videos! I'm interested in converting this drum sander http://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-drum-sander-52, to power feed. I've got a small gearbox, 25:1, I think...any thoughts on what sort of motor would be suitable? Thanks very any light you can shed. Cheers
    Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Aussie Shed View Post
    Just a quick Vid posted to my Youtube Channel.
    Most of this footage was buried in another video & have had a few folks ask for a separate video.
    Hope you like it.
    Cheers.

Thanks mate, handy info! Love the sticker. If we remove all warning lables, after some years we will be back to a generation that can think for themselves!

Thanks
    If you want to limit over-speeding the motor with the pot all the way clockwise, add a resistor in series with the clockwise terminal. The value of the resistor will be a small % of the pot's value. Experiment with the value that gives you an acceptable maximum speed.
    Ken

Thanks
    what size / type caps do you suggest for this. cheers

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Well done. I have used the same SCR units for my conversions but have swapped out the 500k potentiometer that usually comes with it for a 200k pot which I found to have a bit more responsive adjustment for speed. Some of the older treadmills have the MC60 control boards with simple plug and play connections. When you find more "modern" units they use a PWM pulse width modulation method to vary the speed rather than the very reliable potentiometers. I have converted two tabletop drill presses, three 1 x 30" HF belt sanders, a small lathe and a bandsaw - all to treadmill DC motors. I love the variable speed option.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    One part man, two parts legend...Indeed! Do you find that lowering the DC voltage to the motor at low rpm but fairly high torque causes the motor to heat up? Thanks for the info.

cheers,

Charles

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information