Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Welding Table

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

The Ultimate Welding Table

The ultimate welding table! (or at least my version)

Everyone on you tube calls their welding tables the "ultimate" so I'll follow the pack. lol

I've been working on this unit for a long while now. I've kept on adding things so it's been putting off the photo shoot but today is the day!

This welding table starts out with a 2' x 4' Certi-Flat top that I purchased. (beautiful piece too!) I made the main table base frame myself from 1-1/2" square tube. The bottom shelf has expanded metal. I opted for a table height of 40 inches. (everyone seems to have their own preference on that)

I added a pull out wing to the back of the table made of 2 inch angle which I drilled matching 16mm holes. This is useful to support longer projects and the ability to use the clamping fixtures.

I opted for pneumatic tires on mine because I do all my welding/cutting outside my garage so I don't damage my antique cars. With these, I can roll over just about anything. (wish I had that dedicated dream fab shop so I could do all my work indoors but I haven't won the lottery yet!)

The Evolution cold cut saw I recently purchased resides on the lower shelf and has left and right pull out extension wings to support long pieces of stock when needed. (future plans are to make a revolving base for the saw so you can turn it and use the wings while doing angle cuts)

I have (4) electrical outlets to run the chop saw and various hand tools. A cord wrap of some type to be added soon. I also have a plastic bin on bottom shelf for keeping various grinders and other tools nearby but out of the way.

I've also been very busy making different clamps and fixtures to go with my new table. Everything from Harbor Freight F style clamps that I modified down to stops and fixture nuts and magnetic aluminum riser blocks made on my lathe. I've also made some "tributes" of a few popular commercial angle squares and such.

This is one of those things that will never be completely "done" but I'm happy with it so far.

The Ultimate Welding Table-1.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-2.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-3.jpg
    The Ultimate Welding Table-4.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-5.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-6.jpg
    The Ultimate Welding Table-7.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-8.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-9.jpg
    The Ultimate Welding Table-10.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-11.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-12.jpg
    The Ultimate Welding Table-13.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-14.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-15.jpg
    The Ultimate Welding Table-16.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-17.jpgThe Ultimate Welding Table-18.jpg
    The Ultimate Welding Table-19.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by bobs409; Jul 30, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Jul 31, 2019), baja (Jul 31, 2019), centaure (Jul 30, 2019), clydeman (Sep 9, 2021), Crusty (Jul 30, 2019), Duke_of_URL (Sep 26, 2022), IAMSatisfied (Jul 30, 2019), Jon (Jul 30, 2019), karri63 (Apr 26, 2022), Ken Koch (Jul 31, 2019), Marine2171 (Aug 4, 2019), Midwestern640 (Jul 30, 2019), neilbourjaily@gmail.com (Jul 30, 2019), raceman61 (Jul 31, 2019), rdarrylb (Sep 11, 2021), rebuilder1954 (Sep 10, 2021), Saltfever (Aug 4, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 26, 2020), Sleykin (Aug 3, 2019), Sprig1 (Jul 30, 2019), TomBuildsStuff (Nov 13, 2019), Tule (Sep 10, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Welding Table to our Welding Tables category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 30, 2019)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Funny you should mention it. I'm right behind you with my welding table build. I just got an Evolution cold saw yesterday and I was quite happy to find that it made a nice cut on the end of a salvaged 6" I-beam, which I will be using to build my table. I'm going to cut 5 lengths of I-beam and weld them across the support arms of a rolling work table that I salvaged after removing the melamine top surface. I'll space the I-beams apart far enough that my mill's clamping kit will do double duty to hold work pieces down using the T slots formed by the I-beam flanges.

But first I have to get the High Frequency arc stabilizer that I added to my Horror Freight transformer welder working properly. I pinched a wire in my first attempt and I had HF/HV going everywhere in crazy places. D'OH!

That's a nice table you made, BTW.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 30, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Useful, problem solving, elegant. Wins a design award!

Watch those mixed units: 2" tube with 16mm holes. Could be a crash landing (tongue-in-cheek)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to neilbourjaily@gmail.com For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 30, 2019)

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Bob, thank you for sharing your efforts on this... you've thought it through thoroughly and have done a beautiful job!

I've been collecting parts & materials to build a welding cart to hold my welder (w/shield gas cylinders), plasma cutter, cold cut and abrasive saws, and a tool box for misc. welding/grinding tools... the problem is that it keeps getting bigger and heavier. I think I'm going to opt for two carts (maybe three)... one set up like yours as a welding table with pivot bases for my saws, another for the welding & plasma machines + toolbox, and a third cart as a manual plasma cut table with a slag funnel. I, too, am limited on space and do my welding work outside, so at this point carts are mandatory.

Again, beautiful work!
    Last edited by IAMSatisfied; Jul 30, 2019 at 05:06 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IAMSatisfied For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 30, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 26, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I agree; "Ultimate" is highly over used. Yours though really is, some are bigger, some are horribly over built or questionably featured. None have that array of clamping and fixturing, few have serviceable extensions. Too some, 'Ultimate' means more tricks than a monkey in a mile of grapevine.
    I prefer connecting that with ' utility ' instead; rather than a catalog-like goodies list.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 30, 2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: let me make one thing perfectly clear...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 31, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations bobs409 - your Welding Table is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Good job - it gets harder and harder to win this award with tool tables (we have over 100 welding tables alone indexed on this site), but this is a very well thought-out example.

Some more nice picks from this week:

Powder Coating Oven by mastersdlm
    Horizontal Bandsaw by Making Stuff
    Concrete Lathe by ramswarnak
    Power Hammer by fix it with biskit
    Log Splitter by djrobilliard
    T Post Puller by katy
    Angle Grinder Attachments by HandmadeCreativeChannel
    Retractable Workbench Seat by Maszynotwór
    Bench Vise by djrobilliard
    Disc Sander by liberal
    Motorcycle Valve Removal Tool by theeddies
    Doweling Jig by Didpoolhall
    Low Cost Portable Sink by rgsparber
    Dado Jig by Christofix
    Bearing Puller by Kwandotechnic
    Gouges by Philip Davies
    Tick Tweezers by TilenThaler
    Key Rack by Kovanca Polock

bobs409 - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 4th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Congratulations and well done.

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Aug 2, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Very,Very nice, Now all you need is a 1 1/2" sq. trailer receiver to mount under your table to slide a small swivel vice (HARBOR FREIGHT) for many holding

positions, then remove & store under. Good Luck AL

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hilerioal@outlook.com For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Aug 3, 2019)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hilerioal@outlook.com View Post
    Very,Very nice, Now all you need is a 1 1/2" sq. trailer receiver to mount under your table to slide a small swivel vice (HARBOR FREIGHT) for many holding

positions, then remove & store under. Good Luck AL
    The thought had crossed my mind believe it or not! LOL The problem with something like this is you can just keep adding and adding... My original plan was to put my mig welder on it too but I felt that was going overboard. It's quite heavy now in fact but still moves nicely.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good Morning, My point was A receiver hitch slides in & off, So only used as an add hand to hold. I also work outdoors & have a mobile cart . The receiver only adds

two lbs.at best, & bolts under the table. When not in use I store the small swivel vice under table or back in the shop. Just an idea. Good Luck AL

Thread Information