Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Understanding Pyrllosis

Thanks

Understanding Pyrllosis

Good info for anyone who might find themselves in the vicinity of an inflated tire.

9:50 but worth the money.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Jim

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Oct 19, 2021), Floradawg (Oct 6, 2021), Inner (Oct 4, 2021), johncg (Oct 5, 2021), nightride (Oct 5, 2021), NortonDommi (Oct 2, 2021), nova_robotics (Oct 4, 2021), rayh__ (Oct 5, 2021)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    Ask any driver of a low loader what heat can do to the little tyres on the low loader, the faster you go on a hot day, the quicker the tyres will go B-A-N-G.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I've heard tyres explode on a car fire and seen what happens when a split-ring,(lock-ring), lets go. The last scares me and is why we have cages and/or chains nets.
    https://www.mullins.com.au/Pdf/Earth...ms_5-Piece.pdf.

Interesting video.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Oct 6, 2021)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Now I am aware

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    This actually explains a lot about an accident with a vehicle owned by a company for whom I was working at the time. Bearing in mind that we are talking about Australia, this truck was an American Freightliner. and because it was 8 tonnes over the front axle unloaded, it couldn't be registered for use in Aus. So it was always moved on a machinery relocation permit. It carried a large football field lighting rig,.....25 ton crane, light array with 12 very large "discharge" globes, and a ballast tranny for them. the tranny was 8' long 3' x 3' steel case full of wire and oil, heavy.
    It was running American super singles on the front. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with US super singles, IN AMERICA, but the roads in Queensland in the summer get VERY hot, we're talking about 60-70 degrees C.
    This truck is left hand drive, on the way to on job it blew out the right front tire, turned it into bunting. it was changed for an Aus super single they're designed for the greater heat. Two days later it went to another job, under similar conditions, it blew out the left hand tire.
    I mentioned the left hand drive for the reason that all the controls were air over actuated, plus the engine injection rack failed OPEN. The driver lost engine control, brakes, and clutch control, all at once. He was on a motorway and was gaining speed, as it happened he was approaching an over pass, and considered that if he headed for the embankment of the overpassing road the angle of the ramp would stop him.
    Nah! Keep in mind that this truck, loaded was in excess of 40 tons, the truck mounted the embankment. cleared the Armco fence at the top, cleared the road and only that he didn't have quite enough elevation to clear the Armco on the other side of the road which took out the fuel tank, it would have kept going until it burst the engine.
    It now seems likely in light of the vid that the second tire was quietly destroying it'self for the two days between the jobs.
    Should anyone care to check this story check the BEGA News paper of about 15 years ago. They drew a dotted line for the flight of the truck. Reported in the paper was a statement from a guy on a hog crossing the bridge that he thought they were filming another episode of "Mad Max"

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by old kodger; Oct 4, 2021 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information