Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head

I machined an adapter that attaches to the Unimat M12X1 spindle and has a 7/8-20 thread for a Criterion S-1 ½ small boring head.

I used 12L14 steel 1.25” hex rod for the adapter and the adapter is only 0.850” in height. Most the adapter blank was machined on the Unimat SL 1000 and the M12X1 thread was threaded with a tap and the top few threads removed and machined to 12mm diameter for a very snug fit on the Unimat spindle. I created a M12 threaded mandrel from T-303 stainless steel rod for duplicating the Unimat spindle on the larger lathe. The threaded mandrel was machined in-place on a 12” geared head lathe and then used to hold the boring head adapter for single point threading. A single point insert tool was used to machine 7/8x20 threads to precisely fit the Criterion S-1 ½ small boring head.

I included some photos of making the adapter and showing installed on my Unimat SL 1000 with an additional milling/drilling head (see Homemade Lathe Modifications for more information).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-unimat-boring-head-adapter-criterion-boring-head.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-unimat-machining-boring-head-adapter-criterion-boring-head.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-unimat-boring-head-adapter-installed-unimat-sl-milling-head.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-machining-unimat-boring-head-adapter-body.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-unimat-boring-head-adapter-m12x1-spindle-seven-eighths-20-thread.jpg  

Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-testing-unimat-boring-head-adapter.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-unimat-boring-head-adapter-m12x1-machining-mandrel.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-machining-m12x1-mandrel-unimat-spindle-tools.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-threading-seven-eighths-20-thread-unimat-boring-head-adapter.jpg   Unimat Boring Head Adapter for Criterion Boring Head-unimat-boring-head-adapter-ready-machining-threads.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 21, 2016 at 09:44 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 26, 2016), kbalch (Jan 26, 2016), PJs (Jan 26, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Paul! We've added your Boring Head Adaptor to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 28, 2016)

Thread Information