Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Valuable content or?

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Now - perhaps I violated the Acceptable Use Policy myself, regarding my slightly ironical reply to this thread ?
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...ne-motor-73894

Feel free to reply - and pardon me as I temporarily was lacking impulse control, when so amazed at the sheer density of ads in this particular video.

As I found these quotes in the AUP - I wonder if these could be applicable (my bold & italics):

"You agree not to engage in any of the following prohibited activities:"
    " Send any unsolicited or unauthorized spam and spam comments on posts, advertising messages,
    promotional materials, email, junk mail, chain letters or other form of solicitation"
    and
    "Use the Service for any commercial purpose or the benefit of any third party,
    except as otherwise explicitly permitted for you by us or in any manner not permitted by the Terms."

I'd be grateful for clarification.
    Regards, Johan / DIYSwede

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,782 Times in 11,321 Posts
    Probably no problem there. What was the issue with that video? There's been a great deal of drama recently with YT increasing ads per vid, plus sponsored vids are on the rise, people using affiliate links in their descriptions, etc.

Broadly, we try to balance commercial content with the value of informational content. I want YouTubers to make money making videos about homemade tools, as long as their ads aren't overboard.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Jul 14, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ........<snipped>
    Broadly, we try to balance commercial content with the value of informational content. I want YouTubers to make money making videos about homemade tools, as long as their ads aren't overboard.
    One continual burr under my saddle is advertising. Don't think I can show more than a handful of items purchased by what featured in advertisements. Huge percentage acquired because I happened to use/ see it work/ obvious utility; but FIRST HAND. To me, ads symbolize lesser products; good ones sell themselves.

I see it this way.
    Using television and radio as example, access wasn't charged. You bought a receiver, ads paid for air time, hopefully pulling in customers. When cable started; viewers bought access; were no commercials other than station ID. You buy internet or private broadcast radio, no ads. Not yet anyway.
    At least you can block or filter spam emails and ads. I use hotmail.com going on 24 [?] [!] years now. It performs to my satisfaction filter wise, ignoring pitch for premium to remove ads. An adblocker kills it just fine.
    I pay for internet access. Advertisers pursue us with un-targeted material; wrong age group, wrong gender, wrong lifestyle, wrong algorithms.
    I regard the same situation over our mobile phones even worse because of touch screens, any slight brush initiates something IN THE WAY of your intent.
    Maybe old-fashioned, a difficult personality, or not a sheeple. It should be our call, who needs who. Not invasive actions that equate piracy, [as in pirates] commandeering my service 'property'. We are stuck with it until enough say No.
    What would be a good commercial? One convincing me to change my mind!

I don't know about remainder of planet, but common standard was ad breaks at 15 minute intervals MOL......until Walmart started doubling [repeating same ads] then all hell broke loose.
    I'd call 16 [sixteen!] banners in a 20:45 [running standard or accelerated rate] minute video a shakedown. Somebody welding, sell me a helmet. Dial in a 4-jaw, sell indicators, or collets lol. Unless every banner relates somehow to mechanics, hardware, machinery, tools et-al; I'll not view further.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 12, 2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: a distinct errant surplus "f"
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Probably no problem there. What was the issue with that video?/Snip/
    Broadly, we try to balance commercial content with the value of informational content.
    I want YouTubers to make money making videos about homemade tools, as long as their ads aren't overboard.
    Thanks for clarification Jon, and thanks for keeping this eminent site, and I really appreciate your balancing acts.

"The issue" was just my personal amazement regarding the ad banner vs content-ratio.
    16 banners in less than a 21 min video...

I called for some guidance in precisely when their ads could be considered "overboard",
    then follows someone's chore of "self-restraint-counseling for those (unknowing) in dire need of same".

Perhaps this weeks "winner" (of this my ratio contest) will have an "over-unity ad/content-ratio"?

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Kam, sorry, a couple of weeks have elapsed since your post today. I'm a little bit confused . . . what are you talking about?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Saltfever; Aug 3, 2019 at 10:35 PM.

Thread Information