Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    oh I see...so there not making condoms....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Sleeves rolled up, good. Neck tie, good for the boss...

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Thinking that's a research or QC lab based on the scale on the bench, guys better not get those ties anywhere near those rollers! Reminds me a lot of the QC lab I used to work in, the windows looked out onto the production floor.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Chemical laboratory workers. Brunner Mond & Co. Ltd. Manchester, England. 1918.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

We are writing a song!
    It goes like this; aminobiphenyl, hexachlorobenzene, dimethyl sulfate, chloromethyl methylether, tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin, carbon disulfide, dibromochloropane, cholorinated benzenes, nitropropane, pentrochlorophenol, benzotricholoride, strontium chromate, dibromo, chloropropane, aminobiphenyl, hexachlorobenzene.....

They had it finished by 1989.
    Really!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Mar 22, 2021)

Thanks
    Well those Rollers would have to turn Inwards where they would'nt Question what Went in there.I can't see any Warning Signs or Emergency Shutdown Buttons "ESDs" If you had an operator who got a bit Scatterbrained especially after a "Broken Hearted Love Affair" Yuck!!! Tere would have been some Nasty Incidents "Safety Is Number One !

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    We used to have a Ball Band factory here (in Mishawaka, IN). My mom used to go down to their Wholesale" shop and get all 4 of us boys Red Ball Jets, high top tennis shoes. They sold the "defective" shoes there for next to nothing.
    Vintage work crew photos-ball-band.jpg

Later it became Uniroyal and they made all kinds of very stinky rubber products like car floor mats, shoe soles, tire compounds etc. In 2000 it was imploded as the start of a beautification project to include a new, modern park, small shops and a now brewery in honor of both Ball Band and the old Camm Shellinger brewery just West of the factory. I know what a lot of the workers from Ball Band did on break!
    Vintage work crew photos-uniroyal-memorial.jpg

If you stand in just the right place at this memorial, it places the sculpture of the factory exactly where it stood before it's demolition. It's actually a pretty cool idea!. Uniroyal expanded the factory to the other side of the main street bridge. (seen on left side of the memorial). Of course, they were also singled out as the largest polluter of the St Joe river! Couldn't eat fish out of there for 20 years! now you can pull 30 lb steelhead out of there thanks to installation of fish ladders and a newer hatchery up river.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 23, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Mar 22, 2021), jimfols (Mar 22, 2021), Jon (Mar 22, 2021)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We are writing a song!
    It goes like this; aminobiphenyl, hexachlorobenzene, dimethyl sulfate, chloromethyl methylether, tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin, carbon disulfide, dibromochloropane, cholorinated benzenes, nitropropane, pentrochlorophenol, benzotricholoride, strontium chromate, dibromo, chloropropane, aminobiphenyl, hexachlorobenzene.....

They had it finished by 1989.
    Really!
    I think they helped Tom out with it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 28, 2021)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory workers. Cleveland, Ohio. June, 1944.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Mar 28, 2021)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    I think they helped Tom out with it!
    Terrific, 'course I like off kilter stuff anyway. Howled at the drawn out 'heard of at Havaardd - not been discovaard" gag.
    The one I barely hinted at, far more dire. All while big pharma and noxious polluters skip along.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    We used to have a Ball Band factory here (in Mishawaka, IN). My mom used to go down to their Wholesale" shop and get all 4 of us boys Red Ball Jets, high top tennis shoes. They sold the "defective" shoes there for next to nothing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ball Band.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	38917

Later it became Uniroyal and they made all kinds of very stinky rubber products like car floor mats, shoe soles, tire compounds etc. In 2000 it was imploded as the start of a beautification project to include a new, modern park, small shops and a now brewery in honor of both Ball Band and the old Camm Shellinger brewery just West of the factory. I know what a lot of the workers from Ball Band did on break!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uniroyal Memorial.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	38918

If you stand in just the right place at this memorial, it places the sculpture of the factory exactly where it stood before it's demolition. It's actually a pretty cool idea!. Uniroyal expanded the factory to the other side of the main street bridge. (seen on left side of the memorial). Of course, they were also singled out as the largest polluter of the St Joe river! Couldn't eat fish out of there for 20 years! now you can pull 30 lb steelhead out of there thanks to installation of fish ladders and a newer hatchery up river.
    A memorial plaque is appropriate; for a place that housed and fed so many people.

There remains the front wall of Uniroyal in Los Angeles, a real piece of artwork. While motifs are mixed Assyrian, they portray Byzantine figures primarily, right along 5 (Santa Ana) Freeway, renamed The Citadel. Any drive that I've passed it, maybe 5 years old on, captivated me instant it came into view and turning completely around in my seat as it faded from view. Every time. If I was there right now, I'd still look as much as possible.
    Truly immense, well over 1/4 mile long, it languished 20 years or more, when radial tires became prevalent, impractical to alter production lines suitably.
    To me, best example of inanimate object that flat radiates countless positive emotions, beyond any other.
    Not even Pyramids? Eiffel Tower? Washington Monument? Union Station? Golden Gate Bridge?
    No.
    It's reinforcing, whatever succession of property owners; immense building and related property, all the untold costs, saw fit to await a worthy owner with a plan to preserve that irreplaceable glory of a landmark.

Of 542,000 results, clearly a few clueless interpretations, but https://www.google.com/search?q=old+...client=gws-wiz

Update; just read that second groundbreaking, the reuse version, had a distinguished guest and implements.
    Gretchen Schleicher Davis of Pasadena, CA, the eldest daughter of Adolph Schleicher, wielded the same silver shovel and pick that she used at the groundbreaking 61 years ago, nearly to the day, when the original Samson Tire and Rubber Company plant broke ground, 1929.

Elsewhere, right now morons are destroying significant artifacts. . .
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 28, 2021 at 04:44 PM. Reason: that extra bit of twist, for enquiring minds
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Hoosiersmoker (Mar 29, 2021)

Thread Information