Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    You DO NOT want to mess with that guy holding the hammer. That is not a small hammer. Look at his hand. It appress he is holding it with just 3 fingers. It does appear he has it leaning against his chest a little, but still that is a big hammer!!!

Defiinitely not a carpenters hammer.
    I'm betting all four of them are as hard as nails and I certainly wouldn't want to mess with any of them.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Thanks
    black smith,not much different that carpenter, just diferent tools, you still have to make things fit. my grandad was a back smith and carpenter.(on my dads side) he built a many churches & the pews inside in northern LA ( lousiana/arkansas border in the fork of delauter.. )many old maps show the town there being named either after us or we were named atfer the town,nobody knows, and most or all I have found including my dad & his brother who died last year at 87 years old never knew that area was named after the family, but somehow google shows it to be the name of the area "tucker town") I do not know when the name was stoped being used but it must of been in the 1800's or earlier. my other grandad was just a carpenter. He built many/most of the homes in/around Gustine & another smaller town I ferget the name of cali including the one m 87 year old mom was born in and grew up in. that side of my family also owned one of the 2 or 3 major water wells that survived the big SanFran earth quake/fire in sanfran sysco. I know thats not how it is spelled..., that was one bussy well. as for me...I personaly thing any body can be acarpenter if they give a ****. me a machinest, racer,dad ,fabricator.and also carpenter wen needed. I built my 24x34 shop by my self, finished like a home on the inside with central ac&heat&bathroom&kitchen,all drywalled.all painted nicley( wife did help with shingles and helped picking up the ridge board.) my small toy shop 12x12' ,my 2 story barn( also finished on the inside with ac & heat, I did all my self execpt for the concreate slab's, I did do all forming for everything. it's possiably the simplest stuff Ive ever done. it can be quite relaxing.and fustrating to do when your a machinest and work down the to .0001" on most stuff. for some reason wood just dont like cutting exzactly. so if you need a break go out and build a few sheds or a shop, it's quite eazy. as for door frames...I dont really use them,I buy door slabs and build the building to fit. no shiming required.( it's good to use pressure treeted on those of they are exterrior doors.) plumbing is eazy as is the electrickel & AC.I did have my brother come over to charge the AC unit for me. it's nice to have blue prints or just do them your self and work it all out before hand. and since Im in Florida my stuff has to pass some pretty ridged standards.( hurricane)and passed with no issues. inspector said it was over kill.

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Workers at the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory in Cleveland, Ohio. 1944.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Feb 27, 2022), jimfols (Feb 27, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 28, 2022)

Thanks
    Charlies Angels couldn't hold a candle to these girls.
    Jim

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Feb 28, 2022)

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    ...my grandad was a back smith and carpenter.(on my dads side) he built a many churches & the pews inside in northern LA ( lousiana/arkansas border in the fork of delauter.. )many old maps show the town there being named either after us or we were named atfer the town,nobody knows, and most or all I have found including my dad & his brother who died last year at 87 years old never knew that area was named after the family, but somehow google shows it to be the name of the area "tucker town") I do not know when the name was stoped being used but it must of been in the 1800's or earlier...
    Although I am not sure where the town is to which you referred, but NW Louisiana is where I am originally from as well.

Thanks
    wow thats 2 people in the last year Ive met from up there. well 4 including her kids. we were waiting for a flight ,I was going to mem tenn she was at the rong gate. she asked me why I was going to spearsville...I didnt look like airforce....she almost blew my mind, then I looked at the next gate and it said spearsville on it. now that blew my mind. a flight from florida to sperasville. I may have to do that some day. to see some old people before there all gone. or Im gone. I also have a local friend at the afb up there for another year or so.
    Last edited by marksbug; Feb 28, 2022 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    Although I am not sure where the town is to which you referred, but NW Louisiana is where I am originally from as well.
    farmville /bernice area, rural route 2 I think,but back in the woods was "tucker town"long long ago, but nobody remembers tucker town road gos around the town up to the arkensaw border or very close to it. I still have some ken folk up there is that area. heck you may be one of them

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Typesetters at Milwaukee Journal. 1930s.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Mar 8, 2022), jimfols (Mar 6, 2022), old_toolmaker (Mar 7, 2022)

Thanks
    I knew people did that job back in the day.
    But I never met any of them.
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I have set type, by hand, for a small letter press in college, late 60's. As I recall it had about a 12" x 14" chase.

So frustrating when someone before you replaced the type in the wrong spot in the type case.

Thread Information