Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    just using this dam keybord chalanges me...spellen too

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    At Camp Creek Threshers (Waverly NE) this Linotype was set up for demonstrations. I think it still is.

Vintage work crew photos-linotype-machine-camp-creek.png

My MIL had spent time at one of those machines back in the day.

While there, I had them make a slug with her name on it. She was as happy as a kid with a new toy.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I got to use an old Linotype machine once back in high school; our print shop class had gotten two when the local newspapers switched to phototypesetting; they gave all their old Linotypes to the high schools.

Unfortunately while I was enrolled in print shop I broke my thumb and spent most of the 9 week class with a cast on my left hand and arm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Typesetters at Milwaukee Journal. 1930s.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

Have we discovered why mainstreammedia is less trusted than perhaps in this era?
    Yes, ran (rammed?) that term together intentionally.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have one Model 31 Linotype up and running each year at the print shop at the Tri-State Engine and Threshers Assn. in Bird City, KS. That show always begins on the last Thursday of July and the following Friday and Saturday. You can see many steam tractors as well as a lot of older machinery there, a blacksmith shop, etc. The print shop is just a small part of that show. Come see that show if you can and you can see a Linotype in operation.

For some 25+ years after my stint as Plant Engineer for a heavy equipment builder which went out of business in 1982 I operated a commercial letterpress and hot lead typesetting shop I had previously run as a part time "hobby" shop and, as Linotype and other linecasting machinery quickly became obsolescent when "cold type" became the norm, these machines were had for little or no cost just to get rid of them. I believe I owned 19 of them, many I scrapped and parted out. I currently have the one in Bird City and one at my home shop, a Model 32. When I got over 60 I had to get another PE job for health insurance and the letterpress shop was nearly shut down. When Medicare became available to me I retired from the Coil Coater plant previously mentioned and since then I've pretty much do what I wish at my "little tin shed" (5000 square feet) on my small farm East of Denver. In it I have quite a few older machine tools, welding equipment, etc. I just acquired a 19 inch LeBlond lathe (20-1'2 swing over the bed), 8 feet Centers, and have been trying to rearrange things to get it in to replace an old Cone Head lathe 15 inch swing by 8 foot centers dating to the late 19th Century.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the harmonious blacksmith For This Useful Post:

techcollect (Mar 14, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Mar 7, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Have we discovered why mainstreammedia is less trusted than perhaps in this era?
    Yes, ran (rammed?) that term together intentionally.
    I believe it is because every letter those guys set was written by a real reporter. Today, it seems like all of our news is cut and pasted from one source to another. When I was in school what was called plagiarism. Also, the news outlets totally control the content. The content is now as much click bait as it is that real news.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 7, 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the harmonious blacksmith View Post
    I have one Model 31 Linotype up and running each year at the print shop at the Tri-State Engine and Threshers Assn. in Bird City, KS. That show always begins on the last Thursday of July and the following Friday and Saturday. You can see many steam tractors as well as a lot of older machinery there, a blacksmith shop, etc. The print shop is just a small part of that show. Come see that show if you can and you can see a Linotype in operation.

For some 25+ years after my stint as Plant Engineer for a heavy equipment builder which went out of business in 1982 I operated a commercial letterpress and hot lead typesetting shop I had previously run as a part time "hobby" shop and, as Linotype and other linecasting machinery quickly became obsolescent when "cold type" became the norm, these machines were had for little or no cost just to get rid of them. I believe I owned 19 of them, many I scrapped and parted out. I currently have the one in Bird City and one at my home shop, a Model 32. When I got over 60 I had to get another PE job for health insurance and the letterpress shop was nearly shut down. When Medicare became available to me I retired from the Coil Coater plant previously mentioned and since then I've pretty much do what I wish at my "little tin shed" (5000 square feet) on my small farm East of Denver. In it I have quite a few older machine tools, welding equipment, etc. I just acquired a 19 inch LeBlond lathe (20-1'2 swing over the bed), 8 feet Centers, and have been trying to rearrange things to get it in to replace an old Cone Head lathe 15 inch swing by 8 foot centers dating to the late 19th Century.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
    DON'T grow up.... A " kid " has to be allowed his toys to play with,...I would love to have your toys and " playroom " .....5000 square foot tin shed. You, sir; are very lucky to have the room and knowledge to pursue activities which make your life fulfilling. I wish you many happy days in the future. Larry

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This was a job often done by the deaf. Rooms full of inotypes are stupifyingly loud. See the bubble at 2:41.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Mar 9, 2022), jimfols (Mar 7, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by the harmonious blacksmith View Post
    I have one Model 31 Linotype up and running each year at the print shop at the Tri-State Engine and Threshers Assn. in Bird City, KS. That show always begins on the last Thursday of July and the following Friday and Saturday........snipped....... I still don't know what I want to be when I grow UP!
    Solution; save growing up for later! W-aaaay later.
    Practically neighbors, ignoring that desolate Sahara-like transit known as Kansas, any farther it'd be Colorado, (sometimes a desolate Himalayan-like transit, free nose bleed and popped ears included).
    Ahhh, so many things travel posters omit.
    But haven't hit any antique power shows in a long time. That might be a good long weekend, with lead time known. Road trips shorten with streamed internet.
    Thanks!

https://www.google.com/search?client...ird+City%2C+KS.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    Although I am not sure where the town is to which you referred, but NW Louisiana is where I am originally from as well.
    My wife is from Slidell. I love Louisiana.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information