Thread: Vise stand for Colombian post vise

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geffre's Tools

Vise stand for Colombian post vise

I wanted to put a vise on a movable base, but I also wanted to make the stand heavy enough to stay put when I cranked on some work.

I started with a solid steel axle I received from a friend. I cut it smooth and mounted it in a brake disk so that the bottom of the axle would touch the floor. I intend to use the axle as a part time anvil if needed while working on hot metal at the vise.

Then I mounted that whole axle brake disk onto a tractor counter weight i got from my dad. Rather than welding the weight to the shaft, I bolted it through a couple of the holes in the disk. That way I can remove it if I want to change the configuration.

I bolted the vise to the shaft with a u-bolt and a bracket of materials I found around the garage.

I welded an extra rod to the disk but not to the vise. I want to leave the vise a more free to be adjusted if I want it higher or lower. I do not know fore sure just how I will use the vise in all circumstances, so I want to be able to raise or lower it as needed.
    Vise stand for Colombian post vise-img_6709.jpgVise stand for Colombian post vise-img_6710.jpgVise stand for Colombian post vise-vise.jpg

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Geffre! We've added your Post Vise Stand to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: Geffre's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information