Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wall chaser from angle grinder - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

Wall chaser from angle grinder - video

Wall chaser from angle grinder. By Sean Beardon. 10:02 video:

Previously:

Mini lawnmower from angle grinder - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

GKK (May 21, 2020), thevillageinn (May 21, 2020)

Thanks
    I’m not sure what the purpose of this tool is.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PDXsparky For This Useful Post:

Crusty (May 23, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    When you have masonry walls and want to run a wire or water pipe, you need to cut a trench in the wall, lay in the item, then hard plaster over it.

When a wall is new you only sink in the electrical boxes and plaster over the wires. Water pipe are still chased in since they're too big to simply cover over.

The below picture is from our new home. You'll see the junction box is sunk in but the wires are on the surface of the brick. This all gets hidden behind hard plaster/stucco. If I later need to run another wire I'll need to make a trench.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

PDXsparky (May 23, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Nice to see green/ yellow a universal identifier of ground, that ROMEX style wire is accepted, and that spectacular twist to bond conductors.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have always said the many countries have a far superior method of housing construction than that which is so widely practiced here in the USA
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have always said the many countries have a far superior method of housing construction than that which is so widely practiced here in the USA
    You should see their regulations for gas appliances, the rules were updated just as we started the house so we changed the plans to meet the stricter rules. First, no gas appliance in a room less than 10 square meters AND that room has to have a window that opens. So, gas sauna became electric (6kw, 380V) and the house boiler with combined domestic hot water moved into the kitchen. It will be in a cabinet at the end of the kitchen next to the window. The cabinet will have vent holes in the bottom and top. Nothing stored there, just the heater.

Gas can't be connected by anyone without a license and permit for the specific connection. We've had a bit of a panic as the virus panic shut down production of stoves and we started searching for one. No gas permit without the cook stove serial number. We found a Simfer brand and that will be at the house on Wednesday. Since we have the number, our lawyer is going in to hopefully get the permit on Monday. Once we have that permit and the gas is turned on, the house is officially issued a street number (we know it's #6 ) and can be lived in as soon as we get there. It also makes us semi-residents so border crossing will be easier as opposed to impossible.

I'll put a video about the manufacture of these stoves in another thread, pretty modern place!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I'll return........

meanwhile, about the delay.
    it's after 0115 and i've been under the kitchen sink all day. when not making parts runs to home improvement stores. old garbage disposer sounded tired, so tore it out. a brand new [Feb 1996] US made 3/4hp awaiting use. well, that brand uses a sink flange, backing nut and rubber boot to hang the unit itself. piece o' cake, right? of course not ! there is zero thread allowance between nut and flange, super hard to turn, and despite many tries, couldn't seat the thing without disturbing the plumber putty. no one local sold replacement nut, hopefully that would be machined not molded. the impedement forced me spring for new disposer with the other version of mount, the three seating screws.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; May 25, 2020 at 02:33 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    You should see their regulations for gas appliances, the rules were updated just as we started the house so we changed the plans to meet the stricter rules. First, no gas appliance in a room less than 10 square meters AND that room has to have a window that opens. So, gas sauna became electric (6kw, 380V) and the house boiler with combined domestic hot water moved into the kitchen. It will be in a cabinet at the end of the kitchen next to the window. The cabinet will have vent holes in the bottom and top. Nothing stored there, just the heater.

Gas can't be connected by anyone without a license and permit for the specific connection. We've had a bit of a panic as the virus panic shut down production of stoves and we started searching for one. No gas permit without the cook stove serial number. We found a Simfer brand and that will be at the house on Wednesday. Since we have the number, our lawyer is going in to hopefully get the permit on Monday. Once we have that permit and the gas is turned on, the house is officially issued a street number (we know it's #6 ) and can be lived in as soon as we get there. It also makes us semi-residents so border crossing will be easier as opposed to impossible.

I'll put a video about the manufacture of these stoves in another thread, pretty modern place!
    Some regulatory commissions can get on a power trip and swing from one extreme to the other, and I'm not saying all of that is bad because I have been a contractor and was required to procure permits and even to have licenses in many states which I fully understood the reasons for the necessity. New York city could carry things to an extreme at times and in California just because you held a contractors license from the state didn't give you a blanket authority to conduct business in any particular county or even city for that matter as each had their own little sets of standards and requirements. in one city my team could not even run our 12vdc control wires for the machines we installed even though a Licensed electrician did the final inspections before connecting the power unit to the power supply One electrician I hired said it was stupid to force his men to run the control wires in our conduits and race ways since they were an integral part of our machines pre made at the factory so he helped me obtain a class B electricians certificate, it took some time and mostly money but in the long run anywhere in the state all I had to do was to contact a licensed electrician to do the final connection to the grid once all inspections had been preformed.
    I fully understand the Natural gas thing where you are building your house but some of it may in my opinion be a little to the extreme but I see their reasoning behind it especially if there happens to be a basement in the house. Gas appliances can become bombs if not made to very ridged standards with quality controls and 3rd party testing. But just jumping through the hoops to get one installed can be frustrating to say the least.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Nice to see green/ yellow a universal identifier of ground, that ROMEX style wire is accepted, and that spectacular twist to bond conductors.
    That is a lengthy bit of exposed copper. What is going to cover those long twists?

Being an electrician, I'm always interested in the way the work is performed in other countries.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXsparky View Post
    That is a lengthy bit of exposed copper. What is going to cover those long twists?

Being an electrician, I'm always interested in the way the work is performed in other countries.
    depending on the country it may be trimmed and an insulated terminal sleeve placed over it then a screw is tightened to hold it in place
    Another country may double it back on itself then insulate it.
    since the advent and improvement of heat shrink tubing has become popular and in much thicker tubes allowing it to meet the +600v insulation quality required in many countries it could be they will use that.
    the contractor may be required to leave the twisted ends exposed until a visual inspection is preformed by the building inspector
    And inspected again after insulation is installed
    Last edited by Frank S; May 24, 2020 at 06:13 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 25, 2020)

Thread Information