Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Warped blade straightener

Thanks

will52100's Tools

Warped blade straightener

Not pretty, just thrown together out of scrap. I have a cleaver that developed a minor warp during heat treat and I needed a better way of taking the warp out, preferably while still hot from the tempering cycle. Basically 3/8 flat bar, 1 1/2" wide, 1/2" black iron pipe cut in half and a small strip of flat bar welded in the half round cuts of pipe to enforce them and bent over to make easy position changes. A half piece of pipe under the bolt to act as the presser to even out the pressure. The whole thing is small enough to clamp a blade and stick blade and bender in my heat treat oven. Just tried it out and works great. Do one full temper, let cool, put the blade in the jig and lightly tighten, put in the oven and let everything come up to tempering temp for a bit and tighten the 7/16" bolt to induce a set. Put it back in the oven and let it soak at temp some more.

I normally use a three point clamp set up in a vise to do the same thing, just mild steel round bar with holes drilled in and pins to set it on the vise jaws. Trouble is this is finicky and takes long enough for the blade to cool and I've broken more than a few doing it this way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warped blade straightener-img_2809.jpg   Warped blade straightener-img_2810.jpg   Warped blade straightener-img_2812.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    courtneyknives.net

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to will52100 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 24, 2020), dubbby (Mar 24, 2020), Inner (Mar 23, 2020), Jon (Mar 26, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Mar 23, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks will52100! We've added your Warped Blade Straightener to our Knife Making category,
    as well as to your builder page: will52100's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Did that cleaver originally have a socket? If so, it was a goose-wing side axe, used especially by timber framers in Europe. I value mine at ££150Warped blade straightener-image.jpgWarped blade straightener-image.jpg

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    Uh, no. The cleaver was originally a very large Timken roller bearing from a National 14P mud pump.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    courtneyknives.net

6. The Following User Says Thank You to will52100 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Mar 24, 2020)

Thread Information