Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Watchmaker's precision staking and tapping rig

Thanks

Britannicus's Tools

Watchmaker's precision staking and tapping rig

Having mayde my first vertical press drill style drill, I have now turned my mind to the very precision task of staking and tapping. very light, Very precise, pressure is required absolutely perpendicular to the work surface sometimes this needs to be a screwing force (eg tapping a watch base plate) sometimes a straight vertical push. I needed tolerances where I can adjust the head by 1/10 of a mm.

Watchmaker's precision staking and tapping rig-p_20170305_143431.jpg

Again commercial models were outside of my funding bracket, so went back to basics to make my own.

Essentially just a series of plates, precisely drilled on my pillar drill, and then tapped to receive a threaded bar. As the bar is M6 in size - 1 turn is exactly 1mm.

When assembled I held the plates apart by nylock nuts, which also then allowed me to precisely adjust the plates to be parallel to each other and the base. the "anvil" is simply a piece circular steel, which I will drill in alignment with the pusher to hold wheel arbours etc. This can be unscrewed to make way for a pin vise.

Watchmaker's precision staking and tapping rig-p_20170305_144608.jpg

Finally I cut a piece of bar, threaded it half way and screwed this onto the top, then soldered in place

Watchmaker's precision staking and tapping rig-p_20170305_165611.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Britannicus For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 16, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Britannicus! We've added your Staking and Tapping Rig to our Tapping and Threading category,
    as well as to your builder page: Britannicus's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information