Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: water trough

Thanks
    Thanked 8,799 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools

water trough

My neighbor gave me a couple of feral piglets to raise one being just past weaning size the other possibly 40 lbs, I had a concrete bowl that held about a gallon, for their water but over the past month they have managed to almost bury it twice and every day it was filled with dirt from their rooting around, so I decided to up their water bowl with a steel trough.
    It is made from 14" of the bottom of an oxygen cylinder split in half and welded together mounted on 3" channel
    water trough-img_20220222_131944pig.jpg
    water trough-img_20220222_133319pig.jpg

water trough-img_20220222_141247pig.jpg
    Holds about 3 gallons, of course even though it sits higher from the ground they will manage to root the dirt up to it so I will have to fluse the dirt out but that is just the nature of pigs
    water trough-img_20220222_141311pig.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

al anders (Feb 27, 2022), baja (Feb 24, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Feb 24, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 27, 2022), rlm98253 (Feb 23, 2022), rossbotics (Feb 24, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Water Trough to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Frank - put a ring in their noses. It's almost a necessity with hogs on dirt. They'll tear up everything.

I raised a lot of hogs in my better [younger] days.

Very nice-looking trough!!! I used to make them out of old water heaters. The local plumber saved them for me whenever he installed a new one for a customer.

I enjoy your posts!

Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_j For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 24, 2022)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Hog nose rings, I think that's what my cousin uses, else they will escape to the wild.
    I didn't see paul_j post. But same idea.
    Last edited by metric_taper; Feb 23, 2022 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Hog nose rings, I think that's what my cousin uses, else they will escape to the wild.
    I didn't see paul_j post. But same idea.
    Not sure 10 people could subdue the larger of the 2 He was quite a bit older than I would have preferred when he was captured no way of knowing how many generations feral either of them are.
    One of them is about 6 weeks away from a .22 to the brain right behind the ear they are both uncut boars and I don't want them reaching maturity I'd rather deal with less meat than have it take on the taste of an adult boar either one would be just about right for spit roasting now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 24, 2022)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Not sure 10 people could subdue the larger of the 2 He was quite a bit older than I would have preferred when he was captured no way of knowing how many generations feral either of them are.
    One of them is about 6 weeks away from a .22 to the brain right behind the ear they are both uncut boars and I don't want them reaching maturity I'd rather deal with less meat than have it take on the taste of an adult boar either one would be just about right for spit roasting now
    Hoping this works out for you Frank. It would be nice to have some of your own meat. I waited to long to castrate my boars one time and I have to despatch them on the small side to be sure as you are saying. But they still tasted good.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I've only raised 3 hogs. One Hampshire (black and white) who was friendly and easy to get along with, named "Porkchop" when I caught him at the Delta County Fair. Sent him to the slaughter house at 180lbs. Maybe 20lbs when I caught him by tackling him, and picked him up in my arms. Replaced him with a couple of red hogs, acquired at about the same age Porkchop was when we got him. They were not at all friendly. When we decided it was better not to keep them any longer, we slaughtered them ourselves. Used a 250-3000 Savage so we didn't have to get all that close. The previous week I'd gotten a groove cut in the toe of my new boot by one of them trying to take a bite of my foot while my toe was through the fence pouring food into their trough. I was 16 or 17 then, had little brothers and sisters that we didn't want anything to happen to. I don't know if all red hogs are mean, but those two were. Still tasted pretty good.

Might have made a difference if we only had one, like with Porkchop. He'd gotten his back scratched, and choice bits of garden refuse hand fed to him, where they were too wild acting. I don't think they were feral, but they sure weren't socialized. They were not pets, but food animals, though my dad treated all his animals as if they were his pets. Even Hercules, a 1500lb Hereford bull he raised from a calf long after I left home. I know that the big growers & suppliers of pork can't and don't treat animals all that well, but ours got a good and comfortable life before they landed on the dinner table.

I don't think I'd even try to fatten up ferals. Of course, there is a reason I don't live on ranch or farm, even though that was my dad's idea of Heaven. I am too flinking lazy for that lifestyle.

Bill

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 25, 2022)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I normally let my hogs get to 380 or so. There are many different kinds of hogs. I remember seeing ones for bacon that were near 700 when I was knee high to a grasshopper and was determined to go into their pen and check them out. Good thing my Dad knew about my crazy ideas and he grabbed me and pulled me out fast enough. I surely would have been a snack to those big boys. Come to think of it I also got a good smack on the rear end for being so careless. Eventually I started to wisen up!

I had a large sow put her jaws around my leg. I've never hit a living thing as hard as I hit that pig. I knocked her out cold. Thought for a minute that I killed her and started to look around for a knife until she woke up looked around and staggered back to her pen. I don't mind saying I was scared for my life. That pig never came close to me again!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    "I had a large sow put her jaws around my leg. I've never hit a living thing as hard as I hit that pig. I knocked her out cold. Thought for a minute that I killed her and started to look around for a knife until she woke up looked around and staggered back to her pen. I don't mind saying I was scared for my life. That pig never came close to me again!"

Hogs are dangerous. An old sow with pigs can be very defensive, and a herd boar with tusks can make a nasty wound. When the boar's tusks got big and he was aggressive with them, we would catch him with a nose loop, cinch his head to a post and break the tusks out with a big hammer. That would take the strut out of him for a while.

Someone mentioned red hogs - we raised red Durocs, along with Hampshire and Yorkshires. The Duroc sows were the meanest to deal with. The others were usually pretty docile, but still deserved respect in close quarters.

I enjoyed raising hogs. We kept around 60 head here on our little place, but I sold them all about 1980 when the market was getting close to my break-even point. When I was young, every farm in the community had hogs. You could walk outside on a still night and hear hog feeder lids banging in every direction. I don't know of any hogs within a ten-mile radius of here now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_j For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 25, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    When I was 4 yr old we still lived in Austin Tx, where I was born. about every weekend my parents and I went to Lake Travis to work on dad's boat house he was building. It was moored at J.O. Jones' fishing camp and marina. Anyway, MR Jones raised hogs for sale. His big sow had too large of a litter so 1 piglet was naturally the runt of the litter not figured it would survive. I saw it and wanted it. I was told that if I could catch it I could buy it for a copper penny.
    This is the pig with me and my dad's chihuahua after we had it about a week
    water trough-frank-pancho-oinkie-1.jpg

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 27, 2022)

Thread Information