Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Welding machine from wiper motor - video

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Holds the wire spool.
    My apologies, I should have phrased my question better. Why use a circular saw blade instead of fashioning it out of old razor blades or used hypodermic needles?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Oct 14, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,862 Times in 11,345 Posts
    I see the choice of the circular saw blade as being done mostly for aesthetic purposes, similar to how we see half gears used as support arches for vises. It has a Mad Max sort of look, and that's a trend that we've been seeing among scrap tool builders.

It's roughly analogous to rat rodders using the rusty blades of old 2-man crosscut saws as windshield visors.

Scrap tool builds that are completely devoid of any willful aesthetic often arise from a purely utilitarian need (which excludes gaining more views on YouTube), such as these tools built by prisoners and prisoners of war.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Alternative Engineering! MIG welding machines are dirt cheap nowadays. You can even get 3 in 1 MIG/ TIG/ Stick welders.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Some folks build things just to prove what can be done. Practical application is not always the precursor to a build.
    Many builds are more in tuned as being for educational purposes. And yes, many are purposely done to serve as U tube channel click bait.
    Someone mentioned using stick electrodes and batteries to weld with. Easy Peezy just have 2 12v batteries connected in series with a pair of jumper cables and you have a means to weld something together. You won't have amperage control. but a little bit of practice and you will be able to scratch weld something back together.
    But what is you don't even have any stick rods, and you have say a broken tie rod.

Here is a little story of when I was assigned to the Brigade Motorpool welding shop in the 64 c10 MOS training brigade at Ft Polk in 1972 never mind what they call it today it will always be either Camp Polk of FT. Polk.
    Anyway a few of the training instructors liked to hang out at my welding shop on their breaks or between classes in the buildings not far away. One day I was repairing some broken part on a duce and a half, when one of the instructors said SGT I wish you could have been with us at the deepwater fording pit the other day with your welding equipment. when a tie rod broke on the Captain's M151A2. You could have welded it back together enough fo it to be driven back instead of having to wait until a wrecker came to pick it up.
    I said I wouldn't have needed a welding machine just the vehicles batteries and jumper cable the carbon rod out of a flashlight battery and a piece of wire or a piece of wire some baking soda. a chocolate bar and toilet paper out of the C rations, a little bit of water, and a way to melt the candy bar, water and soda together I could have made a poor excuse of a welding rod. My supervisor the MTR SGT Master SGT Brice had walked up about that time and said I understand the baking soda but why the candy bar?
    I said at the blacksmith shop we ran out of Borax brazing flux once, so I was sent to the store across the street t9o get some baking soda to use as the flux. That was when I learned from the blacksmith that the first stick electrodes didn't have a flux coating Borax or even common baking soda was poured onto the area to be welded then the arc was struck, and the soda was continuously poured over the arc.
    I told them I had not tried it but thought that using a candy bar as a binder mixed with the water and soda would coat a wire better the T paper would be wrapped around the coating so once it was dried it would remain in place.
    MSG Brice said then put your theory to work and tomorrow you can demonstrate whether or not what you are saying can be done.
    Lots of baking soda a candy bar a little water and a hot plate to melt the goo made for a sweet smell while welding, all be it a poor excuse of a welding electrode I was able to join 2 pieces of scrap together.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Oct 15, 2023), WmRMeyers (Oct 16, 2023)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    My apologies, I should have phrased my question better. Why use a circular saw blade instead of fashioning it out of old razor blades or used hypodermic needles?
    They're not circular and about the right size? A needle is circular, but...

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,862 Times in 11,345 Posts
    Update. Now battery powered, and the gas is stored in a tank.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information