Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: welding table from scrap table

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

welding table from scrap table

With so much of my stuff packed away and or moved I really needed another small welding table. So in digging around in the ever shrinking pile of usable stock I noticed an old steel patio bar table or part of it at least.
    It looked like it would fit the bill I just needed to make a couple item for it first was to cut out a couple of wooden disk so while searching around for a piece of wood in the trash pile I actually found 2 disk that my wife had tossed there Cool no need to make them then I found a length of 4" thin wall pipe that actually fit the disks It may have been the piece that they were made for, for all I know, anyway I cut about 6 inches off if it put 1 of the disk on the table stem and added a hose clamp to keep it in place then added a coupling nut and a length of 1/2" all thread and the other disk then the pipe and then bolted the base back on the bottom.
    Now I have a small stable lightweight welding table for the project I was about to repair.welding table from scrap table-20161128_134813b.jpg welding table from scrap table-20161128_134829b.jpg welding table from scrap table-20161128_134906b.jpg welding table from scrap table-20161128_134949b.jpg welding table from scrap table-20161128_135450b.jpg welding table from scrap table-20161128_144722d.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

karri63 (Apr 26, 2022), PJs (Dec 2, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Welding Table to our Welding Tables category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Frank,

Thank you for posting this small version of a welding table. Sometimes at YouTube I see these big shops with a 4' x 8 'x 2" thick welding table and I think that will never work in my shop. Now seeing your small version provides the incentive for finding something that could easily fit in a home shop garage. Great idea reusing the old steel patio bar table.

Regards, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 3, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Paul I had dug that table out about a month ago while loading some of my other stuff I thought then that it would make a nice small welding table, but I already a couple of good small and 1 large welding table so my thoughts were why bother. I really don't need it and after all I have already moved 8 semi trailer loads of stuff.and still have 6 more packed up waiting to be moved. The clincher was a new customer from out of town called me up and asked if I could repair an axle and housing for his skid steer. I rold him that I was getting ready to move my Machine shop van that day and if he could wait 2 days he could drop it off at my new place then I would be happy to repair it since where I am moving is actually closer to where he lives anyway. H said that he was already in town and really needed it So I told him to drop it off and I would see what I could do.
    So instad of moving the shop van I told my bud that he might as well try and find a paying load to haul for a couple of days. After all money is money and the only way we have been able to afford this move is to let him haul as much as he can and move my trailers in his slack time.
    Now I could have simply dropped the tailgate on my pickup and welded the housing and axle on the back of that but it was too windy to use my mig welder besides it was already loaded in the machine van but still access able for use there just wasn't any table that I could uncover to use as a place to weld on and my welding fixture for rotating things while welding had already been hauled out west. Hence the reason for spending an hour making a lazy Susan and the welding table
    A lot of things I make are done for the purpose of saving time and to make a job a little simpler to save a customer some money
    This little welding table with the lazy Susan tack welded on it will most likely become a permanent fixture in the machine shop van since it doesn't take up much space and is easy to move around

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 4, 2016), PJs (Dec 3, 2016)

Thread Information