Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Welding videos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    How does a permanent marker destroy a camera lens?

Permanent markers aren't really "permanent", next time you want to get permanent marker off a (smooth) surface just colour over it with a white board marker and then wipe it off with a cloth. Even if you used a scribe and permanently damaged the front element, they are replaceable. (They are made that way as the front element is prone to damage). Even so, quality SLR lenses are completely dismantlable, so if you damaged any of the internals they can be repaired/replaced.

Cheers Phil
    I was going to reply with the same sentiments but I have never tried the white board markers, I was going to suggest alcohol which does not damage the lens either.
    Next time I need to remove a "permanent" marker I'll try your method.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    How does a permanent marker destroy a camera lens?

Permanent markers aren't really "permanent", next time you want to get permanent marker off a (smooth) surface just colour over it with a white board marker and then wipe it off with a cloth. Even if you used a scribe and permanently damaged the front element, they are replaceable. (They are made that way as the front element is prone to damage). Even so, quality SLR lenses are completely dismantlable, so if you damaged any of the internals they can be repaired/replaced.

Cheers Phil
    Thanks Phil & Tony. I haven't taken the risk with mine as bought replacable protectors: screw on screw off, no labour costs. I have used white board & permanent markers on a household notice/reminder board and all colours have become impossible (so far) to remove. Then again I think the white board was melamine : maybe laminex is better but way dearer.Tried alcohol which didn't work : I was thinking of trying wd40 or crc as it is useless anyway: these work on sticky glue residue on plastic as does "Oomph" somewhat like graffetti remover.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    Thanks Phil & Tony. I haven't taken the risk with mine as bought replacable protectors: screw on screw off, no labour costs. I have used white board & permanent markers on a household notice/reminder board and all colours have become impossible (so far) to remove. Then again I think the white board was melamine : maybe laminex is better but way dearer.Tried alcohol which didn't work : I was thinking of trying wd40 or crc as it is useless anyway: these work on sticky glue residue on plastic as does "Oomph" somewhat like graffetti remover.
    GooGone works for a white board but I hate using that stuff. I use acetone if nothing else works, that never fails.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 24, 2019)

Thread Information