Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: What's the best starter TIG setup?

Thanks

What's the best starter TIG setup?

For those of us accustomed (either currently or formerly) to OA welding, but now looking to expand our skill set into arc welding…

What's the best starter TIG setup?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

GaryR's Tools
    Hi Guys,
    Let's try this again. I wasn't able to post my reply after I got done typing it. Had to log-in.
    What equipment do you already have? If you have an ac/dc stick welder, all you really need is the torch, tank of argon, and regulator and do like I have been doing the past 15-20 years; using a procedure called scratch-start tig welding. Jody has a very good intro to it on his site "WeldingTipsandTricks.com". But, if you don't have an electric welder, and have to buy one as well as the other parts, it may run you almost as much as a Tig rig. And, of course, with the Tig rig you will want an ac/dc rig so you can weld aluminum. The high-frequency start feature is very seductive to an old "scratch-start dude".
    As far as which brand of machine(how much money you have to spend) your chose is personal. The "Red" Lincoln or "Blue" Miller or any of the imported units are very impressive. Good luck.
    GaryR

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by GaryR; Apr 1, 2015 at 08:48 PM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks for the tips, GaryR. Didn't know about scratch-start TIG welding.

Thanks

GaryR's Tools
    Me again,
    Gotta tell you of an incident that occurred about 20 years ago. I bought a High-Frequency Converter to add to the setup. I was so proud of it (latest thing, don't you know) and was welding to try it out. I went in the house to phone somebody--can't remember who--and when I lifted the phone I heard the hounds of hell in the receiver. What a noise, racket, ear-splitting to say the least. I went post-haste to the welder and shut the converter off. The noise in the phone was gone. And soon, the converter was returned to the welding supply shop. Alas, back to the stone age. I would have been shot and hung out to rot had I insisted on blanking phone service out in the south-end of town where I live. I am sure nowadays with improvements that the newer stuff doesn't bother electronics like it used to.
    GaryR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information