Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wheel puller

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools

Wheel puller

I just removed the dully wheels from my 1956 Chevy 1.5ton truck rear. This tool would have been bent beyond use. The rims rusted to the wheel hub. I had to get in there with a wire wheel, and remove the rust from the hub. Got the outer wheel off, then did it for the inner wheel, and again for the brake drum. The truck has sat unused outdoors since 1988. I just got it in my new garage this week. Getting it started was not too bad, until the fuel pump failed, and after replacing the choke cable, I broke some ignition wire from the key switch. It would start as long as the starter foot switch was pushed, as there's a ballast resistor bypass.
    Before that I had to clean out the radiator, as some critter chewed the upper hose, and a mouse made a nest inside the upper tank. Replaced the points, and got good spark. But after starting, the external oil filter hose lines started leaking. And it took a major effort to free up the brake shoes and get air back in the tires. As for new tires, they don't make 7.00x22.5 size so I ended up with semi trailer tires. We'll see if they fit under the front fenders this coming summer.

Wheel puller-vlc_snapshot-00003.jpg
    I made a puller using some 1/2" steel bar and 7/8" bolts. Which did not work until I did major rust removal.
    The brake drum I purchase a hydraulic gear puller and made longer links as well a cup to place over the existing hub as there was no center for the puller to push into.
    Wheel puller-vlc_snapshot-00004.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by metric_taper; Dec 27, 2023 at 08:02 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

RetiredFAE (Dec 27, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 824 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Those are some SERIOUS springs for that 1 1/2 ton truck!!!!

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks metric_taper! We've added your Wheel Puller to our Wheel and Tire category,
    as well as to your builder page: metric_taper's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information