Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: wind driven generators and any information

Thanks

Cool wind driven generators and any information

Hello all, am new to Ontario Oregon area, and have 75 acres in hay. Happily my counterpart is mechanically inclined and we are looking for information on wind driven generators.
    Thank you

Patty

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,241 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    HI; Are you looking to make your generator from scratch? like an axial flux with neodymium. or Iron ferrite magnets and wind you own coils or are you looking to re-purpose an electric motor by rewiring it and cutting the rotor then attaching magnets to it.? Or could you possibly be thinking of using a large automotive alternator say something like a GM 1045 size by scraping out the rotor and making one with magnets on it?
    For a first time DIY wind turbine project it is best to start out with kind of small 500 to 1000 watt range @ 12 to 48 volts nominal on a 40 to 60 ft tower with turbine blades not longer than 6 ft each
    I can direct you to several trusted persons who have built and or maintain wind generators.
    However if you are thinking of doing this for your primary power generation source be ready to spend lots of money to buy or build your turbine plus much more for a suitable controller a large battery bank and a very healthy dc to AC inverter to power your house or out building OR to re wire a few circuits to utilize the DC power such as lighting or DC appliances.
    You should invest in a good engine driven generator as well for a back up or solar PV for the days when the wind just won't co-operate
    Jump in and ask away if there is no one on here with wind generator experiences I can most likely answer a few of your questions or very probably direct you to someone who can and will

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information