Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Woke physics - image

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Just to lighten the mood here is a very short offering from the venerable Ave that came out this morning:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    NORTON DOMMIE,
    Clearly he "woke"...................ho hum.
    For all these sleeping beauties we need a Prince Charming, nothing else is going to wake them up!
    That HAS to be a put up job NOBODY could be that bloody stupid, .......could they?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    NORTON DOMMIE,
    Clearly he "woke"...................ho hum.
    For all these sleeping beauties we need a Prince Charming, nothing else is going to wake them up!
    That HAS to be a put up job NOBODY could be that bloody stupid, .......could they?
    yes they can, but it is not always the case of stupidity alone.A lot of it can be directly attributed to ignorance gone to seed and down tight laziness.
    I've seen guys who were supposed to be greasing the fleet of earth moving equipment just walk around wiping the zerks with a greasy rag make a half hearted attempt to put the nozzel on them give a quick pump then move on not caring if any grease went inside or not.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 16, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools

Sometimes I have had to just walk away when words have failed me.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Another gem. This time, it's Sheffield University, and their plans to decolonize their engineering curriculum because key scientists such as Isaac Newton, Paul Dirac, Pierre-Simon Laplace, and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz may have benefited from "colonial-era activity". Archived Telegraph article here: https://archive.is/lBwMS

I am reminded of US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Robert's comments in Fisher v. University of Texas:

The good news is that Students for Fair Admissions v. Harvard, a similar case to Fisher, is likely to reach the Supreme Court. In a nutshell, Harvard may be in trouble for considering "holistic" admissions guidelines during admissions, which have been shown to work against high-scoring Asian-American students, and in favor of lower-scoring African-American students. Harvard has done something similar to this before, with their Jewish quotas in the early 20th century that limited the number of Jewish students that would be admitted. Supporters of the plaintiff argue that university admissions should be like acceptance standards to professional sports teams - decided entirely on merit.

More:

https://archive.is/lBwMS
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_ar...4-981_onjq.pdf

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    I have an engineering degree. I went to school with a hell of a lot of really smart people, but if half of them got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, they'd just lay down and die.

Tire iron? Check. Jack? Check. Full sized spare? Check. This problem is insurmountable. I guess this is where I die. Tell my family I love them.

Engineers have a bad reputation for a reason. Useless as tits on a nun. Hands on machine shop experience should be mandatory.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Harvard may be in trouble for considering "holistic" admissions guidelines during admissions, which have been shown to work against high-scoring Asian-American students, and in favor of lower-scoring African-American students.
    It's not just shown to work against Asians, they've admitted they're messing with SAT scores. At least some ivy leagues have openly admitted that their policy is to add a certain number of points to black SAT scores, and SUBTRACT a certain number of points from Asian SAT scores. That is insanely racist and evil. I don't understand how the woke crowd aren't losing their minds. This should be an enormous scandal.

I would like to see the data on non-ivy league schools, because it's only the big gunners that are getting the (tiny amounts of) attention.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    It's not just shown to work against Asians, they've admitted they're messing with SAT scores. At least some ivy leagues have openly admitted that their policy is to add a certain number of points to black SAT scores, and SUBTRACT a certain number of points from Asian SAT scores. That is insanely racist and evil. I don't understand how the woke crowd aren't losing their minds. This should be an enormous scandal.

I would like to see the data on non-ivy league schools, because it's only the big gunners that are getting the (tiny amounts of) attention.
    I'm not an engineer, but have been cursed to work with them on high performance fighter and cargo aircraft, satellite communications gear, and industrial laundry machines. I figure they need five years in a production machine shop, and an additional five years pulling maintenance on the type of equipment they will be designing. And even then most of them shouldn't be allowed out without a keeper.

Bill

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I have an engineering degree. I went to school with a hell of a lot of really smart people, but if half of them got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, they'd just lay down and die.

Tire iron? Check. Jack? Check. Full sized spare? Check. This problem is insurmountable. I guess this is where I die. Tell my family I love them.

Engineers have a bad reputation for a reason. Useless as tits on a nun. Hands on machine shop experience should be mandatory.
    I once watched a " hands on" session for university students taking place. Four rubs of a file across a piece of steel (and one even had the file the wrong way round) and they got their "ticket".

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote "I don't understand how the woke crowd aren't losing their minds." end quote.

You make the presumption that they HAVE one

Thread Information