Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Woodwork marking gauge

Thanks

sossol's Tools

Woodwork marking gauge

I had a basic idea of what I wanted to build (to ape a proven design), but didn't have any detailed specs. My arbitrary rule for this was that I had to use the blade from a dead can opener, so I dug through my stashes of material that would work. The actual shapes were dictated by happenstance and correction of errors, of which there were many.
    The steel rod is from a printer, the maerial for the nut is from a piece of steel that was in an antique toolbox I inherited, the knob is from a miniature dimmer from another project), the brass plate and knurled bar are leftovers from a guitar project I haven't posted here yet (I made all of the hardware from brass. Posted it to https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00020053728764).
    I tried a new-to-me technique on this mostly because it seemed like fun. I machined the bore in the 1/4" plate and the shoulder on the barstock to an interference fit and heated it for a temporary slip fit. I wasn't quick enough, and it tightened up before it was fully seated, but a few light taps with a hammer did the trick. Note to self: be quick. It still let me get the knurl up against the fence part.
    Woodwork marking gauge-img_8879.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8880.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8881.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8882.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8883.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8884.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8885.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8886.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8887.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8888.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8889.jpg
    I didn't bother to remove all of the scratched before polishing, so it's a Monet, but I'm OK with that.

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Apr 9, 2020), bobs409 (Apr 8, 2020), Jon (Apr 9, 2020), Paul Jones (Apr 7, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks sossol! We've added your Marking Gauge to our Marking Gauges category,
    as well as to your builder page: sossol's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Great work on the final finishes for your marking gauge. Also excellent close-up photos for showing the details. Thank you.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Great work on the final finishes for your marking gauge. Also excellent close-up photos for showing the details. Thank you.
    I'll be honest here... I only polished it so that I could take these glamor shots. I was going to leave it unpolished because all of the pieces are pretty battered and scarred.

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 12, 2020)

Thread Information