Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Worker loses balance on ladder - GIF

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    Derailing the thread a bit, but I have a question about this. I had to solve this problem (working drywall above a stairwell) before and my solution was to put an extension ladder from the stairs to the adjacent wall and place a 2x12 on the ladder for improvised scaffolding. Is there a better way to do this? That felt super sketchy at the time.

From the picture it looks like those are open steps so that wouldn't have worked at all, unless they made a special box to hold the ladder in place.

I use a telescoping ladder like this: Worker loses balance on ladder - GIF-mt-13_ei-5.jpeg

You can extend on side of this longer than the other and you have a nice sturdy ladder that is solid on stairs. Folds up nicely as well.
    I have three sizes. And appreciate their versatility. Putting a plank on this has it's built in limits as to where the plank can go. Almost makes sense! All the big boxes have them. So does Costco.

Mark

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    Derailing the thread a bit, but I have a question about this. I had to solve this problem (working drywall above a stairwell) before and my solution was to put an extension ladder from the stairs to the adjacent wall and place a 2x12 on the ladder for improvised scaffolding. Is there a better way to do this? That felt super sketchy at the time.
    Do you mean you leaned a ladder extending at an angle from the base of the stairs onto a wall that was at least several feet back from the stairs and then put the board from one of the stairs over to a ladder rung that was at an appropriate height? If so, that seems reasonably stable to me. Neither the ladder, the board, nor the stairs should move, unless someone purposely tries to move them.

2000 Tool Plans

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Apr 11, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I use a telescoping ladder like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MT-13_EI-5.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	45255

You can extend on side of this longer than the other and you have a nice sturdy ladder that is solid on stairs. Folds up nicely as well.
    I have three sizes. And appreciate their versatility. Putting a plank on this has it's built in limits as to where the plank can go. Almost makes sense! All the big boxes have them. So does Costco.

Mark
    I'm sidetracked today negotiating for a small 60hz/ 3Ø/ 480v/ 55a gen-set...
    Didn't include articulating such ladders and Pivit® ladder boxes. Terrific solutions when encountering steps, uneven footings, roof pitch or weird heights. Also have ''T-Brackets'' that create footboards or planks out of common 2x lumber. 3 in a set; 2 hook on ladder steps, one in the middle ties plank together with the vertical underneath.
    Years of cruising used market, never retail. Extension and step ladders (only fiberglass), top rails for stepping off onto a horizontal surface, ladder adjusters, spreader bars, rung tool bags, anything to be able to go up and stay awhile getting things done.
    Merely speculative purchases back then, hot-damn handy now. Always felt being able should include odd times, holidays etc, when just can't "go get so and so", or a few days use paid for one rental. Instead it hangs there, ready, at fraction of current cost.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 11, 2023)

Thread Information