Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Workshop/shed security post

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Workshop/shed security post

Hi All
    I have added some additional security to my shed.

I needed some sort of post behind the door so that it would be difficult to remove some expensive items stored in the shed, if anyone was able to get the door open. However I didn’t want any trip hazards in the way when removing items from the shed.

Commercially made security post are very expensive and tend to rely on the post being sunk in to a hole and cast into concrete or are hinged to lay flat. This wasn’t an option as the shed was already built and a hinged post wouldn’t work due to space. I also wanted the post to be a temporary measure as the existing block built shed will eventually be demolished, but is a handy storage space for the time being.

I had an idea in my head (which is always dangerous) so set about finding scraps of materials suitable to build my take on a security post.

The following photos show the post being installed after being welded and painted.

Workshop/shed security post-img_7624.jpegBase plate made from 10mm thick steel, bolted to the concrete floor with M12 countersunk bolts in Hilton fittings. The large centre hole accepts main post.

Workshop/shed security post-img_7625.jpegUnder side of main post made from heavy duty steel handrail. The 3mm plate welded to the post covers the baseplate countersunk bolts. Webs are there to stop the plate from being bent with a Pribar.

Workshop/shed security post-img_7626.jpegPost sat in position on base plate. The box section accepts a 25mm diameter solid stainless bar.

Workshop/shed security post-img_7627.jpeg Workshop/shed security post-img_7628.jpeg Right and left hand sockets to support stainless bar. The left hand socket has an additional piece of material welded in, so a padlock can be used to lock the stainless bar in place. With the stainless bar in place this also prevents the main post from being removed.

Workshop/shed security post-img_7631.jpegComplete assembly in position ready for padlock.

Workshop/shed security post-img_7652.jpegHopefully items secured behind post in the event of a break in.

I am pleased with the design and the post design appears to be very strong.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

delalio (Jul 24, 2023), ductape (Jul 20, 2023), Jon (Aug 4, 2023), Little Rabbit (Jul 20, 2023), mr mikey (Jul 20, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Jul 30, 2023), nova_robotics (Aug 3, 2023), PaulsGarageProjects (Jul 22, 2023), Philip Davies (Jul 21, 2023), verticalmurph (Jul 21, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Storage Shed Security Post to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information