Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WWII USS Hornet aircraft carrier found on ocean floor - video and photos

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

WWII USS Hornet aircraft carrier found on ocean floor - video and photos

The USS Hornet, the WWII aircraft carrier that most famously launched the Doolittle Raid, was recently discovered on the floor of the Pacific Ocean around the Solomon Islands.

A five-inch gun in the wreckage:

An F4F-4 Wildcat with wings folded:

International Harvester tractor:

MSM piece this morning of the find. Looks like they traded CBS exclusivity for an embedded reporter. The coverage is not too bad.

The USS Hornet, just before abandonment and sinking during the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands on October 26th, 1942.

Large high-quality photos and videos available in the media kit here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x4rjjnn54...fdcH8BwCa?dl=0

More:

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...ornet-vii.html
    https://www.history.navy.mil/content...4/h-004-4.html

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 17, 2019), baja (Feb 13, 2019), blkadder (Feb 13, 2019), ChasT (May 31, 2022), high-side (Feb 13, 2019), jjr2001 (Feb 16, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Feb 12, 2019), Marine2171 (Feb 17, 2019), MeJasonT (Feb 16, 2019), MIGuy (Feb 16, 2019), PJs (Feb 13, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 12, 2019), Tonyg (Feb 13, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 17, 2019), Tule (Feb 13, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Thanks Jon, Its sad to see the state of this old girl. may we never forget those brave souls who fought to make a safer world.

There is one little known carrier wreck which is good news as apposed to bad the Graf Zeppelin

WWII USS Hornet aircraft carrier found on ocean floor - video and photos-24graf-459x640.jpg

A German carrier built during the 2nd world war, if it had been used Britain would have been lost to the Germans during the Battle of Britain. It would have given the Germans air supremacy at a time when Britain was running out of aircraft and men to defend itself any longer. Naysayers check your history books.

It was decided by that funny man with the Charlie Chaplin tash that the future was not with carriers, he decided they were a waste of resources and that attention should be spent else where. After the war when Poland was passed to the Russians the carrier was scuttled this was carried out by the Russians in an attempt to discover how to destroy American carriers. More importantly how and where to strike a missile etc to be most effective in sinking a carrier. It layed in the Baltic sea until found by a Polish company Petrobaltic who were carrying out oil exploration work. I had the privilidge in my offshore career to meet and work with some of the crew who found it.

I found some information about the Graf Zeppelin here https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wor..._soldiers.html

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Feb 16, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    ...that funny man with the Charlie Chaplin tash that the future was not with carriers, he decided they were a waste of resources and that attention should be spent else where.
    I have a treasured bundle of WWII advertisements, around 40 from 'Life' and 'Fortune' magazines. Sought a specific focus on manufacturing in general, occasionally items of mass manufacture. Poured over endless drawers of related content, hand picking those delivering the most impactful statements. Of all, two or three outrank the others in that manner.
    WWII USS Hornet aircraft carrier found on ocean floor - video and photos-texaco1.jpg
    WWII USS Hornet aircraft carrier found on ocean floor - video and photos-texaco2.jpg

Eventually they'll all be framed for presentation in shop entryway. There's plenty of wall space, but tools collecting chips do not outweigh a distinct first impression.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Feb 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Mommy who was Hitler/
    Well thankfully but sometimes sadly that day has come long ago
    Thankfully because his horrible devastating works was thwarted.
    Sadly because youth of today do not receive a proper education of just how horrific and evil a person he really was.
    There are millions and perhaps a billion or more who firmly deny that the holocaust ever took place.
    There are those who actually embrace the ideals of his agenda simply because they don't know ant better.
    Those who are not taught the perils of history are destined to misunderstand it
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

ChasT (May 31, 2022), cognitdiss (Oct 2, 2021), high-side (Feb 23, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 17, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Unfortunately lessons have not been learnt. We in the UK are on the verge of a civil war due to Brexit, i have never heard such undemocratic and false rhetoric being spread by politicians, press and unfortunately remain voters. There seems to be a serious lack of education when it comes to the understanding of the past and why some may feel Germany's dominance in the EU is unsatisfactory to others. Whilst Germany's manufacturing is flourishing the UK's is going down the pan. The cheap labour from previous eastern block countries has diminished the pay in many jobs. Some of us see the tyranny starting all over again. This touchy feely world has gone mad with its political correctness. 53% voted to leave (a majority) and the EU has been very politically incorrect of its handling of a nation/any nation wanting to leave. we were not the first, we are actually the third but the only one with the commitment to actually do it. If you see UK news all you see from the 26 other nations is Germany and their puppet France saying No, Non, Nein The very comment of Donald Tusk no less. The other EU countries have been silenced only the so called heads of the EU are commenting. Forgive me if i'm wrong but is the whole plan that all 27 nations have an equal say, this has been the biggest cock and bull story i've ever heard , so like many Brexiteers I chose to leave. The remainers would have you believe its not like the past, so i ask whats different. First world war started by ummm Germany, the Second world war started by ummm Germany? who's allies at the start of the war were France and allowed themselves to be occupied and ran by Germany. If we now look at the EU Germany and France in bed together and Germany wielding power over the rest of the EU. Lets just say the Remainers are right and we should stay in the EU what is so positive that it would be worth voting to remain/stay. I have an acquaintance on facebook who would like to tell all Brexiteers to F-off i would welcome her to try but i suggest she wears padded pants as more than likely she will land on her arse. I don't hit girls but one can always make an example sorry exception. One of her posts describes the wind-rush generation who had served in the war - what ? they were invited to settle as mean had been lost in the war ie. they came after. Did i mention she is a teacher, god help us all. The great union of Russian States collapsed as it was unsustainable to keep every one happy for any length of time, there will always be division where one state benefits more than others which ends in dissatisfaction and division. It is no surprise to the educated amongst us that Europe will eventually break up. It just goes to show how entrenched we have become with one state ruling over all how hard it is to break away from the union. This in itself indicates how controlling the EU has actually become. To those who chose Remain i say this, if you feel that you are so correct and that those who have chosen to leave have acted undemocratic-ally then why do you not understand that you are going against the democratic choices of others - it is you who is undemocratic. Men and women did not serve in the great wars to have our freedoms so easily given away to others, the forces personnel who keep them safe in their beds at night i understand the meaning and cost of brexit and that is why most forces personnel supported the leave campaign.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

high-side (Feb 23, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 18, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    To be clear. I make a clear definition between Nazis/SS and ordinary German soldiers, I have friends in the Russian, Polish and German Navies and wish no ill to anyone.
    Hitler was evil and the Holocaust should never happen again, unfortunately very little is being done about Syria or the situation in Yeomen.
    I love Germany and the people i have met have been very friendly. From an ex serviceman's point of view i have the greatest respect for both friend and foe we are all just brothers, farther's and sons of someone, we get told to fight by idiots who cant manage properly and who let power go to their heads.
    I had no idea that some German soldiers lost their lives in the concentration camps for disobeying orders or trying to sabotage the camp, Unfortunately Germany is not allowed to show respect for its genuine soldiers. It is something i often think about.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    All the more reason why informative threads such as this one about the USS Hornet are important. her are two interesting wiki's about the life and history of the USS Hornet.
    The one this thread is about is the USS Hornet CV-8 A Yorktown class carrier, which was actually the seventh ship to carry the name Hornet. Eventually an eighth ship the USS Kearserge was renamed in honor of the one that ws sank in WWII
    Read this one first
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hornet_(CV-8)
    Now read this one
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hornet_(CV-12)
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Here are all of the dive photos in the media package. Click on each image for the fullsize.

A 1.1 inch anti-aircraft gun.

A five-inch gun on USS Hornet.

A five-inch gun director on USS Hornet.

Two of the 20 mm Oerlikons located on the port quarter of USS Hornet.

Damage on hull of USS Hornet.

F4F-4 Wildcat with its wings folded.

First station on deck of USS Hornet.

An International Harvester aircraft tug on USS Hornet.

Inside the online room of the R/V Petrel where the team is able to view warships underwater.

Signal horn atop the tower of the USS Hornet.

Sonar image of USS Hornet.

Sonar images stitched together showing debris filed of USS Hornet. Largest image size available.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 18, 2019), high-side (Feb 23, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 18, 2019)

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    I used to drive by the Hornet when it was stored in Bremerton, WA with some frequency. When I saw this thread I thought wait! It's not at the bottom of the sea, it's in Bremerton...
    Hard to believe it's been in Alameda for almost 30 years!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmrra13 View Post
    I used to drive by the Hornet when it was stored in Bremerton, WA with some frequency. When I saw this thread I thought wait! It's not at the bottom of the sea, it's in Bremerton...
    Hard to believe it's been in Alameda for almost 30 years!
    Being in Bremerton only SEEMS like the bottom of the sea. Good thing they installed Puget Sound where it is; to drain all the rain. I was stationed in Bremerton in the 70's aboard CVAN-65 Enterprise during re-fit. As a SoCal guy, I assigned the region a title I remember to this day, "World's Biggest Car Wash".
    But I enjoyed every minute, every square mile, every inch of roadway, every diner, every little town, and the distinct female population.
    No, I didn't get to enjoy every one of those...
    I had to come to Missouri for an affordable $-per-square-foot building. Western Washington very next in preference, especially Raymond, Chehalis and Grays Harbor College WA.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Wmrra13 (Feb 18, 2019)

Thread Information