Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yacht burns then sinks off the coast of Sardinia - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts

Yacht burns then sinks off the coast of Sardinia - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 13, 2020), nova_robotics (Sep 11, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Well... fire's out.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Crusty (Sep 12, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    A Cobalt that burned and sank this summer here...
    Yacht burns then sinks off the coast of Sardinia - GIF-fullsizeoutput_10d4.jpeg

Yacht burns then sinks off the coast of Sardinia - GIF-fullsizeoutput_10d1.jpeg

Thanks
    Living on a yacht full time biggest fear is fire not a lot you can do ,seen the odd one burn ,very fast and hot as hell,not even mentioning the fuels gasoline diesel gas adding to the mayhem.Fire suppression systems mostly in engine rooms but a lot off fires start in the galley or wheelhouse as electrical shorts.

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Most big ship fires start in the galley or the laundry, nearly all the ships ive been on the majority of alarms were from the Laundry.
    That’s taking into consideration the amount of welding and construction that was carried out on deck. i have only ever fought one fire on board (trained for hundreds), A hydraulic hose burst next to a steam turbine engine which instantly erupted into flames - i grabbed the size 2 hose and FB5X foam applicator and started to attack the fire. 10 minutes later i got told off, the chief said why didn’t you just isolate the hydraulic pump (ie remove the fuel). The punishment was to clean up all the AFFF foam. From my previous occupations, another serious cause of fire was missiles, thankfully never ended up on the receiving end of one.

This was fun, the unluckiest ship in the Royal Navy; it sinks at least 3 times a week.

Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Sep 14, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    This is a very armature attempt at saving a vessel, men in white overalls are trainee officers, you tend to see a lot more activity and aggression when they are in blue.
    just saying
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    This is a very armature attempt at saving a vessel, men in white overalls are trainee officers, you tend to see a lot more activity and aggression when they are in blue.
    just saying
    yes it would appear to be their first or second time in the training exercise, judging by their timid movements. As we herd near the end their comments about how it took them 20 minutes to do the same thing a more seasoned team would have done in 5 minutes.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 12, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Agreed.
    They didnt even get 100% Havoc, usually there is only 6" gap at the top of the compartment and all the wedges and pad pieces start floating away.
    The other rig at the fire school is equall as interesting you put the fire out and then get drownwd, Its not articulated though. The idea is the less water you use to put the fire out the less you have in the compartment when the water comes in. I used some insider knowledge, when we were getting instruction on top of the rig i payed close attention to the water main and valves. It got isolated pretty damn quick after the fire was out. One of the exercises was a split fire main. scored pretty high for knowledge of the ship.

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    The civilian fire service were always jelous of the fact we had twin bottle basca sets and 3 thermal imaging cameras on all RN ships. Cumbria Fire service here at home onlt had 1 thermal camera and if it was on the wrong engine it had to be delivered to the other or it was brought out by the senior officer to the one that needed it. I hope in the last 20+ years that has changed. We now have 2 posh state of the art fire houses, the old victorian station has finally been abandoned.
    From a previous thread on 125 man liferafts - we were always told the best life raft is the ship you are on, fight for it until all hope is lost. its easier to find a ship at sea than it is to find liferafts in the water. which brings us onto SOLAS, the best thing ever invented. If you have ever seen a radar screen when someone is in distress neatby and has set off an Eperb, lets just say its about the only thing you can see on the radar screen, a nice big target. there was a guy up in aberdeen who worked for SOLAS and he was taking some old equipment back for servicing, on his journey home one triggered in his car, by the time he got home to manchester he was met by a huge parafin puffing yellow heckalopter. Probably a fine.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Some possible lead on the poor yacht's ownership/ backgound:
    https://eurasianet.org/kazakhstan-ya...ongues-wagging

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Chopnweld (Sep 15, 2020), MeJasonT (Sep 12, 2020)

Thread Information