Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: YAHP

Thanks

Crusty's Tools

YAHP

Yet Another Hydraulic Press

I mostly finished this hydraulic bearing press today made almost entirely from stuff I dragged out of my materials pile. I did have to buy two gate springs and some paint so I missed my objective of not spending any money on this project but not by much.

The press arch and ram is fixed in position and cribbing is built up on the lower deck to place the part to be pressed at a suitable height (the red iron I beams are part of the cribbing set which will live at the press). The lower support plate has two sized cutouts in it which can be used by flipping the plate halves and of course the part can always be directly supported by appropriate cribbing underneath. The jack is old and the markings are gone so I'd guess it's 5 ton or less but I'll probably buy a stronger jack in the future.

I haven't made any adapters to fit the upper pin yet, but one I'm going to make will hold a Jacobs chuck for holding shafts to press various pins out of work pieces.

If you haven't tried Rustoleum Hammered metal paint yet (NOT the Forged Hammered flavor) you should. Doesn't require much surface prep or any primer, goes on easy, hides imperfections, looks great and is surprisingly hard and durable once cured.

YAHP-bearing-press.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

shopandmath (May 9, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Crusty! We've added your Hydraulic Press to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Crusty's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    carefull with your jacobs chuck, some have a hole all the way through the center, and the ones that dont, may not have much thickness where u really want it thick..some one was using one like u want to do,, in a shop i was working in, and the press tool punched right through the center of chuck and really jammed up things for a couple of days..if u use a tapered shank to mount chuck,make sure it goes all the way to the bottom, i bet they usually dont and leave a space between shank and chuck which means the shank isnt supporting the center of chuck,, check it out first,maybe u can drill or ream or bore out the center of chuck hole and weld in a shaft to fit..
    Last edited by madokie; May 4, 2020 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I've got that covered. Not my first rodeo.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thread Information