Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: YAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)

Supporting Member EclecticNeophyte's Avatar
    Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools

YAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)

YAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140720_110041.jpg

The photo above is of the (somewhat) unique power hacksaw, that I built last winter. It isn't much to look at, and it certainly has some minor flaws. But overall it works quite nicely. The pulley system reduces the motor RPM, to allow approximately 70 strokes per minute. Much of the saw is built using scrap metal found at a local steel recycle yard. Other items like the pillow block bearings, were scavenged from machinery found at the same place. Only the pulleys, belts and hacksaw blades were purchased new.

The thing that makes this design a little different from others I've researched, is the guide arm for the blade carrier or slide; which is made using two lengths, of one inch square tube placed in parallel. This provides a simple but very rigid track for the slide to move back and forth in.

The slide itself, is composed of two pieces of 1" x 1" x 1/8" angle steel, placed back-to-back so as to form a 'T'. The blade is held by two pieces of 1/8" thick flat bar, that were sandwiched between the angle steel forming the 'T'. No need for precise pivot points, or engine rods, etc.. It cuts very accurately!

The photo is an 'action shot', of the saw slicing through 1 1/2" x 3" x 3/16" rectangular tube.

-EclecticNeophyte

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; Jul 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jul 25, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks EclecticNeophyte! I've added your Power Hacksaw to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: EclecticNeophyte's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Catfish's Tools
    Nice job. I am working up a design to build. Thanks for sharing.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Nice take on a power hacksaw. This is a tool I would have immensely appreciated in a former life.

Thanks
    Hi Eclectic, I need one of these! Can you post a couple more pictures like a straight-on side view, drive & rail details? ~Paul

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts
    Nice work on the hacksaw. Tools are made for functionality not for aesthetic reasons IMHO.

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Nice work on the hacksaw. Tools are made for functionality not for aesthetic reasons IMHO.
    Thanks. I agree...

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cadsculptor View Post
    Hi Eclectic, I need one of these! Can you post a couple more pictures like a straight-on side view, drive & rail details? ~Paul
    There's really not much special there, as I began building the Gingery PHS. The only aspect that is 'special' if you will, is the way the arm/slide/guide is constructed. As I mentioned above, just try to envision two 1 inch square tubes in parallel, with approximately a 3/8 inch gap between them. The back-bone slide (the piece that holds the saw blade) is built from two pieces of 1/8 inch thick (1" x 1" I think) angle stock. If you look at the slide cross section, they've been welded together, back to back to form the letter 'T'; but with sections of 1/8 inch flat bar 'sandwiched' between the angle. Overall, the slide forms a big letter 'F'... I'll try to post a couple of extra photos of that part of the machine. Everything else is pretty much unremarkable...

If I had to build this thing over from scratch, I wouldn't start with the Gingery motor, arm mount, as it's simply too flimsy... Every time the crank pulls the slide back, the back end of the saw 'wracks' or twists slightly... Someday I'll rebuild it and beef it up. It doesn't seem to affect the cutting accuracy though...

-EN
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; Aug 11, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    ...some additional photos as requested...

YAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140815_163824.jpgYAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140815_163838.jpgYAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140815_163846.jpg

Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    ...the last...

YAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140815_163900.jpgYAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140815_163912.jpgYAUPHS (Yet Another Ugly Power HackSaw)-20140815_163937.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 19, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jun 12, 2016)

Thread Information