Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: ZF 8HP70 8-speed transmission cutaway - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 23, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I have a patent on a new kind of transmission that would make these insanely complex compound planetaries completely unnecessary. Weber Auto does a great teardown video on ZF 8 speeds. Saying it's like a Swiss watch in there is an understatement. I have no idea how they can produce these for less than the cost of a whole car.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thats Too True,How did they even Invent the Thing in the 1st Place? I mean its enough to have a Brain Meltdown just looking @ it and then thinking what about when its going and the driver puts the pedal to the metal!Amazeing!Can you enlighten us a wee bit on your system? Is it going to come out into production some time?I hope it is a Success for your and the Auto Public.Best Regards Mcthistle007.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mcthistle007 View Post
    Thats Too True,How did they even Invent the Thing in the 1st Place? I mean its enough to have a Brain Meltdown just looking @ it and then thinking what about when its going and the driver puts the pedal to the metal!Amazeing!Can you enlighten us a wee bit on your system? Is it going to come out into production some time?I hope it is a Success for your and the Auto Public.Best Regards Mcthistle007.
    Development in ICE vehicles has largely stalled in favor of electrics. I don't think this transmission will see the light of day. I thought I could sell it to one of the big truck manufacturers, but I don't think there's a lot of incentive to innovate in that space. Shoot me your e-mail and I'll send you a PDF outlining the design. The long and the short of it is without using compound gearsets, this transmission achieves 15, 24 or even 35 speeds, which allows conventional cheap and reliable helical gears to approximate a CVT. A unique part of this transmission is that it also allows insanely high ratios in a small package. You can easily have a normal transmission that has a 2000:1 first gear. That's not exactly a practical ratio, but it's possible with this technology.

Thanks
    Hello nova_robotics.Thanks for the reply,most welcome.My e-mail is searlem14@yahoo.com.au I'd be very keen to see that PDF. I used to work on land based oil-rigs for 35 years and the oil field rig moveing winch trucks were getting very developed in the Gearing & Drivetrain compared to the Basic trucks of yesteryear.Ultra Low Gears and being able to haul ultra heavy loads.Do they actually use CVTs in Trucks? I find that my mothers Toyota Corolla with a CVT feels like its going break its Rubber Band without any hard demands.While on this subject have you heard of an Inventor called George Constaninesco that made a unique gearbox with levers that was able to amazeing things? Its on a website called "Rex Research".Anyway you sound like an Interesting Inventor and sincerely hope your Ideas Breaks Thru and Go Gold.The World has all this amazeing technology but seems very slow in letting go of past ideas and moveing on with the New.Best Regards Mcthistle007.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mcthistle007 For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 13, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mcthistle007 View Post
    Hello nova_robotics.Thanks for the reply,most welcome. I'd be very keen to see that PDF. I used to work on land based oil-rigs for 35 years and the oil field rig moveing winch trucks were getting very developed in the Gearing & Drivetrain compared to the Basic trucks of yesteryear.Ultra Low Gears and being able to haul ultra heavy loads.Do they actually use CVTs in Trucks? I find that my mothers Toyota Corolla with a CVT feels like its going break its Rubber Band without any hard demands.While on this subject have you heard of an Inventor called George Constaninesco that made a unique gearbox with levers that was able to amazeing things? Its on a website called "Rex Research".Anyway you sound like an Interesting Inventor and sincerely hope your Ideas Breaks Thru and Go Gold.The World has all this amazeing technology but seems very slow in letting go of past ideas and moveing on with the New.Best Regards Mcthistle007.
    You got it good buddy. Check your e-mail.

CVTs have a few huge downfalls. Reliability and torque carrying capability, and complete inability to achieve low range. Toyota is combating this by adding a conventional first gear to a CVT. So you take off in first, then it shifts out and engages the CVT. I've never heard of heavy vehicles using CVTs, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

I will look into George Constaninesco and Rex Research. Thanks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information