Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Tailstock Die holder

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools

Homemade Tailstock Die holder

Guys, this is my tailstock die holder I made over the weekend. It doesn't have the finesse of others I have seen, but it seems to work ok. I started with a cast aluminum blank that I made from scraps. It is counter bored to receive both small and large round dies. It uses the adaptor that came with my tap/die set to hold the smaller dies. The holder slides on a shaft clamped in the drill chuck with handles for hand rotation.

*****PHOTOBUCKET HIJACKED MY PICTURES SO I HAVE EDITED THE POST TO ADD THE PICTURES BACK. THEY ARE NO LONGER IN ORDER TO MATCH COMMENTARY MADE WHEN THE THREAD WAS STARTED.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1157.jpg   Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1158.jpg   Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1159.jpg   Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1160.jpg   Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1161.jpg  

Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1162.jpg   Homemade Tailstock Die holder-imag1163.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mr95gst; Sep 11, 2017 at 04:09 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mr95gst For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 4, 2020), bigtrev8xl (Mar 9, 2017), bobs409 (Mar 7, 2017), jjr2001 (Mar 8, 2017), Moby Duck (Mar 10, 2017), Okapi (Mar 10, 2017), olderdan (Mar 8, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2017), rossbotics (Mar 8, 2017), zarembak (Feb 10, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 403 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Looks good to me, nice work

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mr95gst! We've added your Tailstock Die Holder to our Tapping and Threading category,
    as well as to your builder page: mr95gst's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Jim In Idaho's Tools
    Really nice work!
    Jim

Thanks
    Looks really impressive, having machined the rough cast aluminum so beautifully I would really have liked to see the handles cleaned up and polished. (Sorry I am being hyper critical) It looks really good. And obviously works well, I am impressed.

Thanks
    Are all dies the same outside diameter? the three bolts hold tight the die as apposed to centering it.? How do you secure the holder to the lathe? Threaded rod?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Bartw Dies are generally 2" 1.5" and 1" in diameter or they are 1" and 1.5" hex. Hex dies are most usually for re-threading or chasing the threads
    the 3 bolt system was developed to both hold the die and the pointed center bolt of the 3 can be used to gently spread a die ever so slightly to allow a thread to be a thou. or 2 larger in diameter to achieve a tighter fit as in a tapped blind hole and stud assembly.
    Converse to this in better quality dies there will be a small slotted adjustment screw which limits the amount a die may be compressed.
    I in the past have backed those screws out just a tad on some of my older worn dies trying to extend their life usability
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 16, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts
    Congratulations mr95gst - your Tailstock Die Holder is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Starting from an aluminum blank that you cast from scraps really made this build stand out. I know we had multiple winning tool entries from you around June-July of 2015; very good to see your work again.

Some nice picks from this week: Mill Table Slot Insert Covers by bobs409, a Micrometer Carriage Stop by Al8236, an Angle Grinder Chop Saw by Bullet500, a Digital Height Gauge by Al8236, a Screwless Toolmaker's Vise by Al8236, a Shop Tent and Wind Wall Door by Frank S, a Differential Rebuilding Stand by TexBuxer, and a very simple Wire Trigger Guard by rgsparber. There was also a really interesting use of plaster for porting, spanning multiple tool builds by tonyfoale.

mr95gst - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

That's win #4 for mr95gst! Here are all of your wins:

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools
    Bartw,
    The holder has a 1/2" through hole. It can slide and rotate on the 1/2" shaft clamped in the chuck. To operate, I push the tailstock close to the piece, then slide the die holder against the work piece, and then rotate the holder to begin threading. The holder spins and not the spindle. It works just like a T-handle die holder except it uses the tailstock as a guide to ensure the die travels concentric with the work piece. In theory, I could hold the die holder still and power the spindle for small pieces, but I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mr95gst View Post
    Bartw,
    In theory, I could hold the die holder still and power the spindle for small pieces, but I haven't tried that yet.
    If you do, be sure to remove those handles and substitute recessed setscrews for the screws holding the die. If you don't and it hangs up you'll have a first rate knuckle smasher.

Folks do what you suggest but with a dead smooth die holder. Fed by hand, all you need do when it hangs up or reaches the shoulder is release it and let it spin on the TS support bar. But, if it has any protuberances, watch out!
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

mr95gst (Mar 14, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 16, 2017)

Thread Information