Free 50 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements
    Thanks

Modification to 6 x 9 Combination Sander Roller Guard

I recently acquired a combination disk/belt sander of Eastern manufacture. One of the plus points of the tool is the quick release tension lever used when changing belts (Photo 1). Other models require a tedious process involving adjusting tension and re-tracking the belt every time you change belts. Unfortunately the roller guard/dust port, which needs to be removed when changing belts, is affixed with four M4 screws (one on the left-hand side and three on the right-hand side), which have to be unscrewed every time you change belts.
    I do not want to use the tool without the ability to connect my shop vacuum to the dust port. I therefore drilled and tapped the hole on the left-hand side and the center hole on the right hand side to M5. I then inserted a section of M5 threaded rod on either side (Photo 2). The cover is then affixed with M5 wing-nuts and fender washers (Photo 3). It now takes a few seconds to unscrew the wing-nuts and remove the cover when changing belts (without using tools).
    Modification to 6 x 9 Combination Sander Roller Guard-6x9-photo-1.jpg Modification to 6 x 9 Combination Sander Roller Guard-6x9-photo-2.jpg Modification to 6 x 9 Combination Sander Roller Guard-6x9-photo-3.jpg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to natie123 For This Useful Post:

Gregraper33712 (05-18-2018), PJs (05-17-2018), rlm98253 (05-17-2018), rossbotics (05-18-2018), Seedtick (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Good move Natie123. My next project for certain.

May I strongly suggest another modification that is safety related.

If yours is like mine the on/off switch is directly under the belt and that means that if the belt shreds and you instinctively reach for that switch all the flesh CAN be flayed from your hand.

A friend had a belt shred on his and as he reached for the wall switch to kill it he leaned forward a few cm and lost the tip of his nose. Not pretty.

Unfortunately I will not be home for a few days yet so I cannot send photos today of how I modified mine but I will as soon as I get the chance.
    Last edited by Mi Tasol; 05-18-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks

Thanks natie123! We've added your Sander Guard Modification to our Sanding category,
    as well as to your builder page: natie123's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanks Mi Tasol. Sounds scary. Will certainly check if my machine poses the same risk. Awaiting your photos.

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

50 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information