Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Simple trailer unloader

Thanks

olefella's Tools

Simple trailer unloader

This is easy to set up and works well, saves a lot of work. If using a big trailer it helps to tie a rope zigzag across the straps so it pulls the contents together as it leaves the body.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to olefella For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), high-side (May 13, 2019), jackhoying (May 10, 2019), jimfols (Jun 4, 2019), Jon (May 10, 2019), KustomsbyKent (May 13, 2019), nova_robotics (Jul 20, 2021), odd one (Jul 21, 2021), rlm98253 (Jul 20, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (May 11, 2019), Seedtick (May 10, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 12, 2019), wolfpaak (Jul 21, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks olefella! We've added your Trailer Unloader to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: olefella's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Jun 4, 2019)

Thanks

jackhoying's Tools
    The "false tailgate" is a great way to unload things. I have a 4' x 4' x 8' long plywood box for sawdust collection and have a false tailgate in the front while it fills. Unloads great. When I was a kid, Dad's first silage wagons worked like this also, but the false tailgate was pulled backwards by a geared mechanism powered by a tractor.

Thanks
    good idea , used bent rim standing up at front of trailer w chain laid on floor to pulloff at the dump,25$ to attach chain(no straps allowed chain only) to bulldozer,which would go backwards pulling off load,as trailer remains stationary ,nothing else to use at the dump, u could make a long pole detachable and cable w winch to use at dump and save 25$ every time.if u didnt have a chain and rim they would also use a backhoe to pull off load with bucket , 25$ also, sometimes when i got at the dump late, they would use backhoe anyway and not charge me, so they could go home instead of waiting for me to unload by hand.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=olefella;133559]This is easy to set up and works well, saves a lot of work. If using a big trailer it helps to tie a rope zigzag across the straps so it pulls the contents together as it leaves the body.

Where I live people use this trick to unload their pickup full of unwanted stuff alongside the road.
    Jim

Thanks
    when i do a rental cleanout, with only my truck, and i have some junk, i just use everybodys trashcan in the neighborhood, everyone gets a little trash the night before trash pickup,gas too high to waste on a trip where u might not get caught dumping.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    there used to be a product advertised which was a self contained version of this. It was basically a strong tarp which connected across the bottom of the rear tail board opening, ran along the floor (essentially covered the floor), then up the front tail board. The load was put in the trailer, then the tarp came back over the load and connected to a geared roller at the top of the rear tail board.
    When you went to unload, all you did was drop the rear tailboard, and wind the gear roller to pull the load out. It was advertised for loose product like leaves, gravel, sand etc.
    Never had one, just recall the ad and thinking about if it would actually work for heavy loose material like sand or gravel.

Des

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information