Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Radius oil cup anvil

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Small Radius oil cup anvil

The cup on the oil bath breather on my 8N ford had become badly dented over the years I suspect that who ever owned the tractor had problems removing it each time he needed to clean it and change out the oil There is an easy way to remove these but many just give them a whack. I'm doing a bit of clean up and re paint on the old tractor so I wanted to straighten the cup as well. Now first off I could have bought a new cup for around $40.00 and a used one in good condition for around $10.00 but why would I want to do that.
    This is more for educational purposes than anything as the dents did not reduce functionality at all
    I welded a blob on a piece of 1/2 by 1" bar stock then ground it to the desired radius then welded it to my table to use an an anvil so I could hammer out the worst of the dents.
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_115722.jpgaa.jpg
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_120750.jpgaa.jpg
    the cup before starting
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_120859.jpgaa.jpg
    After I had removed the worst of the dents I needed a large radius anvil to get the correct shape this was made from a piece of 1/4 by 2 flat bar and a segment cut from a piece of 4 inch pipe
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_125805.jpgaa.jpg
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_125812.jpgaa.jpg
    the cup after a hammering it back into shape a little more fine hammering and it will be ready for pain
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_131103.jpgaa.jpg
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_131113.jpgaa.jpg
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-20171112_131126.jpgaa.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 26, 2019), DIYer (Nov 14, 2017), NickP (Nov 13, 2017), Paul Jones (Nov 13, 2017), Philip Davies (Nov 19, 2017), rlm98253 (Nov 12, 2017), Seedtick (Nov 12, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Radius Anvil to our Anvils category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 26, 2019)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    This is very good, especially your make do and mend philosophy. But, pardon me, Frank, you WELDED it to your table? If you don’t own an anvil, would it not be better to have a bolster on your bench, with a hardy hole cut in it, so that you could insert other anvil tools that you might make?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    This is very good, especially your make do and mend philosophy. But, pardon me, Frank, you WELDED it to your table? If you don’t own an anvil, would it not be better to have a bolster on your bench, with a hardy hole cut in it, so that you could insert other anvil tools that you might make?
    You are correct Philip, for most cases having a hardy hole or even a pattern of holes to bolt tools or fixtures to is a far better way.
    the table top at the time was just a slab of 1" plate steel weighing about 500 lbs tossed atop of a pair of work horses that I was using to cut things out of the plate to become other tools or parts. it is far better to be able to grind off a weld than to have a permanent hole cut in it, as it takes a lot less time to grind off a weld than weld up a hole and grind that flush should I require that section of the plate for something else later.
    I keep thinking that one day I will carve out a shape from a piece of 4 1/4" thick plate that I have in the shape of a Peter Wright, but I just can't bring myself to making the first cut in the piece of steel. It is 13" wide and 11 ft long and as sure as I cut something out of it I will need it for something else

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 26, 2019)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Before you make yourself an anvil from that massive piece of steel, I recommend you go on YouTube and have a look at GS Tongs. His anvils are combination swage blocks and anvils and are very versatile.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Before you make yourself an anvil from that massive piece of steel, I recommend you go on YouTube and have a look at GS Tongs. His anvils are combination swage blocks and anvils and are very versatile.
    In the mean time I mostly use what ever is handy all an anvil is, is a mass that is more than the material needing to be worked.
    I have this for when I have some heavy hitting to do it is something out of an old cotton mill. I had a 12 ft long 3 1/2 " steed rod bolted to it. My neighbor gave it to me to get it out of his way and because I needed a length of 3 inch or larger rod to make something out of. The top roller of my plate roll is made from that shaft.
    I still have a 4 ft section left
    the top and bottom flanges are about 12 x14 and 1 1/4inch thick

Small Radius oil cup anvil-wp_20191226_17_52_57_richmb.jpg
    the block is about 16 inches tall
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-wp_20191226_17_53_05_richmb.jpg
    Small Radius oil cup anvil-wp_20191226_17_53_13_richmb.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 27, 2019)

Thread Information