Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: What is your motivation for your website/ blog?

Thanks

jere's Tools

What is your motivation for your website/ blog?

I have been told a few times that I should start a blog. I am not very certain that I have anything that very many people would be interested in coming back to read. Everything seems like it has been done before if you just search the net hard enough. Where does your motivation spring from when it has all been done before?

It seems like everyone has a differing motivation, so I would like to hear what some of you guys take away from your weblogs. Do you blog to help others, get feedback on your work, make a profit with ads, advertise for your business or what?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    For me my blog is to leave some things done and little knowledge I have.
    In the past I it was frustrated bring my knowledge to the grave, now with the possibility of writing something and leave for posterity like it.

Working Hotz

little bit I write over there today..

2000 Tool Plans
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hotz For This Useful Post:

jere (Jun 29, 2015)

Thanks
    Excellent question regarding motivation. I've started and run a number of niche interest boards, groups, and blogs over the years and, though ad income (especially in recent years) is occasionally part of the picture, my primary motivation has always been that of, jointly, information sharing and community building.

I've never believed that "everything that can be done has been done", if only for the endless individual variation seen everywhere in life. You never know how someone else's perspective (or yours!) might contribute to the available knowledge on a particular topic. To quote myself (from one of my old aviation articles, though equally applicable here):

"I believe that we all have something to learn from each other and that each individual, from the newest pilot to the most experienced, has seen and learned something of value for himself and the rest of us, if only he can identify and communicate it."

My two cents…

Ken

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

jere (Jun 29, 2015), PJs (Oct 10, 2015)

Thanks

Workshopshed's Tools
    I started the Workshopshed blog back in 2008 as a journal, a classic web blog. The thought was that it would give me somewhere to keep my notes and perhaps help others too. It's now written more like a magazine as I find I do enjoy the writing aspect too. It also allows me to include other people's projects and ideas.

Over the years I've had very little feedback, although I did make that process a bit easier with the last site redesign. Probably about 10 comments of value out of 500 articles.
    The adverts just cover costs although I did have a very good year a few years back where it made 3 figures.
    My work is unconnected with the site and tool making which is just a hobby.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Workshopshed; Jul 6, 2015 at 02:28 AM.
    Andy from Workshopshed
    "Making and repairing things in a shed at the bottom of the garden"
    workshopshed.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Workshopshed For This Useful Post:

jere (Jul 7, 2015)

Thread Information