Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 20 ton Press and Mods

Thanks

gatz's Tools

20 ton Press and Mods

Looked long and hard at 20 to 30 ton presses. Even thought about making one using an inverted hydraulic jack. (plenty of how-to vids online)
    Finally found one that didn't break the bank and yet had a lot of the features I was looking for.
    It has a direct-reading tons/psi gauge, Movable cylinder left-to-right, and air-over hydraulic pump.
    Granted, the air-over does not give much tonnage, but provides a quick way to move the ram down.
    This is a nicely made press of surprisingly good quality for being made in China.
    Model BD-PRESS-20A. It is distributed through Discount Ramps and I bought it on Amazon for about $500. (I see they're higher now)
    I was happy with the price & the quick and free shipping that Amazon Prime offers, but it might pay to shop around.
    The freight on this item alone would offset the yearly Prime membership cost.

Assembling the press took some time, but nothing overly complicated. Helps to have an A-frame hoist ! But, no fit-up problems at all.

So, some mods were in order right away. Casters (fixed in the rear, swivel in front) were bolted on after adding a small plate to the inside of the bottom rails. Surplus Center caster set p/n 1-4706

20 ton Press and Mods-casters-mounted.jpg

Next was to add a small winch (boat type) to raise/lower the "work press table" as this is a Royal PITA to manually move without it falling to the floor, or worse, on one's foot.
    Even more so if you have parts or spacer blocks, aka heel blocks, on the table and need to move it up/down.

Modified a Dutton-Lainson winch by adding a 2" diameter "spool" to the drum, so that the cables start winding faster. The stock spool was only about 5/8" diameter.

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5581.jpg

The cables are then routed over some pulleys

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5584.jpg 20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5585.jpg

and connected to the spacer tubes using some electrical ground wire clamps.

.....here, short chain links welded to the spacer tubes of the table provide an anchorage for the 1/8" cables

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5586.jpg

I didn't like the way the cylinder plate fit loosely on the top beams; made things wobbly and there was wasted motion when pumping; so I modified that arrangement to allow it to slide left/right, yet have very little clearance in the vertical plane.
    Put a roll pin in the head of a 1/2-13 HexHd screw just to take up what little slack there was. 1 in front, 1 in rear.

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5975.jpg

Next, I visited the local Goodwill and got a nice alum cook pan. Made a swing-out frame and holder for all the press tools needed.
    A friend had a long piece of a 4-sided V-die and we cut off an 8" long piece. Drilled holes in the ends and made a handle for it
    (Like to keep my toes) Made a couple of V arbors for the ram. These sure come in handy for bending.

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5988.jpg

The swing-out pivots outward to the left and allows the table to be moved to the lowest setting without getting in the way.

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5991.jpg

I've got some drawings of the pulley mounts if anyone is interested. Got the Dutton-Lainson p/n too.

gatz

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by gatz; Aug 30, 2018 at 08:54 PM.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to gatz For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Feb 27, 2024), baja (Feb 24, 2024), billster (Sep 2, 2018), blkadder (Nov 3, 2022), Canobi (Aug 31, 2018), Duke_of_URL (Feb 29, 2024), EnginePaul (Nov 3, 2022), Jon (Aug 31, 2018), Loose Ctrl (Sep 1, 2018), marty5860 (Sep 18, 2020), Mrmojo112 (Dec 22, 2022), nhengineer (Dec 26, 2018), PJs (Aug 31, 2018), Rangi (Aug 31, 2018), rlm98253 (Aug 31, 2018), rossbotics (Aug 30, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 31, 2018), Sleykin (Nov 4, 2022), that_other_guy (Dec 26, 2018), TSiArt (Sep 5, 2018), will52100 (Dec 25, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks gatz! We've added your Press Modifications to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: gatz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Sep 1, 2018), Mrmojo112 (Dec 22, 2022)

Thanks
    thats some good mods!!!especialy for us old decrepid ones whoo can nolonger lift squat.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gatz View Post
    Looked long and hard at 20 to 30 ton presses. Even thought about making one using an inverted hydraulic jack. (plenty of how-to vids online)
    Finally found one that didn't break the bank and yet had a lot of the features I was looking for.
    It has a direct-reading tons/psi gauge, Movable cylinder left-to-right, and air-over hydraulic pump.
    Granted, the air-over does not give much tonnage, but provides a quick way to move the ram down.
    This is a nicely made press of surprisingly good quality for being made in China.
    Model BD-PRESS-20A. It is distributed through Discount Ramps and I bought it on Amazon for about $500. (I see they're higher now)
    I was happy with the price & the quick and free shipping that Amazon Prime offers, but it might pay to shop around.
    The freight on this item alone would offset the yearly Prime membership cost.

Assembling the press took some time, but nothing overly complicated. Helps to have an A-frame hoist ! But, no fit-up problems at all.

So, some mods were in order right away. Casters (fixed in the rear, swivel in front) were bolted on after adding a small plate to the inside of the bottom rails. Surplus Center caster set p/n 1-4706

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casters Mounted.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	25350

Next was to add a small winch (boat type) to raise/lower the "work press table" as this is a Royal PITA to manually move without it falling to the floor, or worse, on one's foot.
    Even more so if you have parts or spacer blocks, aka heel blocks, on the table and need to move it up/down.

Modified a Dutton-Lainson winch by adding a 2" diameter "spool" to the drum, so that the cables start winding faster. The stock spool was only about 5/8" diameter.

Name:	DSCF5581.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	25352

The cables are then routed over some pulleys

Name:	DSCF5584.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	25353 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5585.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	25354

and connected to the spacer tubes using some electrical ground wire clamps.

.....here, short chain links welded to the spacer tubes of the table provide an anchorage for the 1/8" cables

Name:	DSCF5586.jpg 
Views:	777 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	25351

I didn't like the way the cylinder plate fit loosely on the top beams; made things wobbly and there was wasted motion when pumping; so I modified that arrangement to allow it to slide left/right, yet have very little clearance in the vertical plane.
    Put a roll pin in the head of a 1/2-13 HexHd screw just to take up what little slack there was. 1 in front, 1 in rear.

Name:	DSCF5975.JPG 
Views:	748 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	25355

Next, I visited the local Goodwill and got a nice alum cook pan. Made a swing-out frame and holder for all the press tools needed.
    A friend had a long piece of a 4-sided V-die and we cut off an 8" long piece. Drilled holes in the ends and made a handle for it
    (Like to keep my toes) Made a couple of V arbors for the ram. These sure come in handy for bending.

Name:	DSCF5988.JPG 
Views:	720 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	25356

The swing-out pivots outward to the left and allows the table to be moved to the lowest setting without getting in the way.

Name:	DSCF5991.JPG 
Views:	692 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	25357

I've got some drawings of the pulley mounts if anyone is interested. Got the Dutton-Lainson p/n too.

gatz
    The winch idea is great ! ! ! I will be adding this to my press ASAP. Thanks.

Thanks
    Gatz,
    Really enjoyed the mods you did to your press! I would like the drawings and the p/n for the winch. Thanks so much.
    Being a retired electrician, I think I can find some of those clamps!
    melbakid

8. The Following User Says Thank You to melbakid For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Nov 3, 2022)

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    here ya go, melbakid and any others that are interested;
    There are 2) of the Left Cable Bracket (1st dwg)
    Bend the ear as shown for the rear-most bracket.
    Bend the ear on the other one the opposite way for the front bracket. (There's only one of the Right Rear Bracket)

The bend should not interfere with the pulley and if you make it 1 1/16" inside from the 3/8" hole, the tab can be bent over to contain the cable.
    20 ton Press and Mods-cable-brkt-left-rear.jpg 20 ton Press and Mods-cable-brkt-rt-rear.jpg
    (If these don't show up large enough, PM me and I'll send them.)

The cable pulleys were made from 2" Alum stk with a 1/2"OD x 3/8" ID bushing.

20 ton Press and Mods-left-cable-pulleys.jpg

Winch is a Dutton-Lainson DL600A

20 ton Press and Mods-dutton-lainson-dl600a-specs.jpg

Spool with 5/8" center tube;

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf6418.jpg

As I mentioned, I cut a piece of 2" diameter tubing in half, then welded it into the spool.
    There are holes in the side flanges where you can weld the ends of the tube into position. (remove paint first)
    There's also enough room in one set of holes to run the 1/8" cable through, and loop back inside the flanges.

20 ton Press and Mods-dscf5581.jpg
    Leave ends long enough to go over pulleys and attach at the chain link welded to the table spacers.
    It's not readily apparent, but the cable is just one piece.

Hope this helps
    gatz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20 ton Press and Mods-cable-brkt-left-rear.jpg   20 ton Press and Mods-cable-brkt-rt-rear.jpg  
    Last edited by gatz; Sep 4, 2018 at 05:53 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gatz For This Useful Post:

Corm (Dec 26, 2018), Jon (Sep 5, 2018), PJs (Dec 27, 2018), tooly (Sep 18, 2020), TSiArt (Sep 5, 2018)

Thanks

Thumbs up

I have to chuckle, 4 years after I posted a request for the plans for your press modification I get a notice today telling me you have responded. Your were kind enough to post the very next day after I made my request. For this I am very grateful, thank you gatz. I just wished I had been notified a little sooner.LOL I have copied the plans and will now endeavor to make the mods to my homemade 30T press. Once again thank you for yur excellent drawings and great narrative.
    There are only two kinds of tools: Those we need and those we want!

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    @melbakid
    You're entirely welcome. Glad to be of some help.
    4 years, eh? That's really surprising.
    I see that the original post has been re-posted now along with other "oldies but goodies" and is probably why you rec'd a notice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gatz For This Useful Post:

melbakid (Nov 3, 2022)

Thanks

katy's Tools
    I had a 20 ton press (sold recently) that I found the working area too low for comfortable working. I fastened 6" X 6" wood blocks under the legs on both sides to raise it for a more congenial work area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20 ton Press and Mods-20-ton-press.jpg  

Thanks

katy's Tools
    using some electrical ground wire clamps.
    FWIW, they're known as split bolt connectors, AKA servits (Burndy)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information