Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 20ft 14,000 lb trailer

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    What are the cross members you used? My experience with angle iron framed trailers is that they twist, not a bad thing as long as they return to original shape but a pain to straighten if they do not. I am interested in the cavity coating you refer to, I am thinking of building a trailer and having it hot dip galvanized.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    What are the cross members you used? My experience with angle iron framed trailers is that they twist, not a bad thing as long as they return to original shape but a pain to straighten if they do not. I am interested in the cavity coating you refer to, I am thinking of building a trailer and having it hot dip galvanized.
    Tooler; The way this trailer is made the crossmembers are sitting on top of the angle iron frame. They are 3" "C" channel welded to the inside at the bottom and the web is welded to the inside of the vertical part of the frame I did this to add strength and to reduce twist however this also made the bed of the trailer a few inches higher

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    This looks and sounds like a great trailer. I like what you did with the wiring. I’m planning on building a new trailer pretty soon. My current one is a factory built utility trailer that was made of 2” square tubing. I’ve overloaded a time or two and bowed all of the crossmembers and had to go in and add angle to beef it up a bit. Lol. I’d like to build one without any sides making it possible to load or unload from the sides.

Where did you purchase your 7 wire cable for wiring? I’m also interested in seeing how you twisted the wires for your branch connections. I have always ran extra wires for the trailer brakes and to ground everything as well as grounding to the frame, but just used the heat shrink butt connectors. I’ve got a good ratcheting crimp tool and never had any problems. I like the idea of running the 7 wire cable better though.

You mentioned that the trailer was going to be used for a new venture for you and your partner, but you said it was going to be pulled behind his Prevost. So I imagine it’ll be hauling cars and trucks as well. What kind of anchor points did you use and where did you locate them to secure the load? I’m also planning on putting a winch on the front of mine to help drag up the dead loads as well as a couple work lights and reverse lights because I am loading and unloading in the dark occasionally.

I’m not sure what type of ramps I’m going to use. Are you planning on using fold down ramps that contact the ground at the rear of the trailer, or hideaway and use some sort of jacks at the rear corners for when loading heavy loads. Both types have their pros and cons, I’m interested to hear what your thoughts are. I think your being an engineer trumps my being an auto tech in this department. I’d love to see some blueprints and more pics. Great Job!!👍🏻👍🏻

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information