Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Using a Small Hole Saw on PVC Pipe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Using a Small Hole Saw on PVC Pipe

Although a hole saw goes through PVC like butter, the resulting puck tends to get jammed. With a little planning, it comes out easily.

If you are interested, please, click here.

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Allenz2 (Jul 16, 2022), Beserkleyboy (Jul 17, 2022), carloski (Jul 12, 2022), dgbreggin (Jul 25, 2022), durrelltn (Jul 13, 2022), mklotz (Jul 12, 2022), mr mikey (Aug 6, 2022), nova_robotics (Jul 12, 2022), rlm98253 (Jul 17, 2022), techcollect (Jul 13, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Hole saws are plagued by the fact that they have no means of ejecting the swarf they produce while cutting. In many materials this can lead to clogging and overheating of the saw blade. To avoid this while sawing metal, I drill a hole in the plug tangent to the circle to be cut. Said hole then allows swarf to fall out of the saw teeth as they pass this tangent hole.

I'll make it a point to drill two tangent holes next time so I can both clear more swarf and use your clever trick to extract the plug.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

dgbreggin (Jul 25, 2022)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Hole saws are plagued by the fact that they have no means of ejecting the swarf they produce while cutting. In many materials this can lead to clogging and overheating of the saw blade. To avoid this while sawing metal, I drill a hole in the plug tangent to the circle to be cut. Said hole then allows swarf to fall out of the saw teeth as they pass this tangent hole.

I'll make it a point to drill two tangent holes next time so I can both clear more swarf and use your clever trick to extract the plug.
    I'm glad I can add to your vast knowledge. I've benefitted from your ideas countless times.

After learning about drilling a tangent hole, I realized that it was hard for me to judge exactly where to drill so it did not blemish the remaining perimeter. My trick is to start drilling the hole with the hole saw until it leaves a clear mark in the stock. Then it is easy to place the tangent hole, or holes so it is within the kerf and not outside of it.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I'm glad I can add to your vast knowledge. I've benefitted from your ideas countless times.

After learning about drilling a tangent hole, I realized that it was hard for me to judge exactly where to drill so it did not blemish the remaining perimeter. My trick is to start drilling the hole with the hole saw until it leaves a clear mark in the stock. Then it is easy to place the tangent hole, or holes so it is within the kerf and not outside of it.

Rick
    My "vast knowledge"? Well, you're only half right, but thanks anyway. :-)

I use the same procedure you hit upon to decide where to drill the tangent swarf release holes. If I'm worried about the hole wandering at start due to the hole saw kerf, I use a brad point drill on the brown stuff or an endmill on metal.

If the piece you're saving is the plug, the swarf release holes can be drilled tangent on the outside of the kerf but, of course, they'll then be of no help in releasing the plug.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Jul 14, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Small Hole Saw Usage on PVC Pipe to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Last edited by Jon; Jul 14, 2022 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Rick,
    Thanks for yet another of your tips. I use holesaws a lot in panel products, venerred particle board, MDF & plywood. The sawdust clearance holes have bern a longtime given, but those 2 simple holes are genius! Thanks again.
    Jim
    Just landed from Outback by Air 'Red Indulgence' air tour of outback NSW, QLD, NT & SA, Australia. If coming to AUS, highly recommend! Just do it..

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Rick,
    Thanks for yet another of your tips. I use holesaws a lot in panel products, venerred particle board, MDF & plywood. The sawdust clearance holes have bern a longtime given, but those 2 simple holes are genius! Thanks again.
    Jim
    Just landed from Outback by Air 'Red Indulgence' air tour of outback NSW, QLD, NT & SA, Australia. If coming to AUS, highly recommend! Just do it..
    https://outbackbyair.com.au/tour/the...re-indulgence/

Sounds amazing!

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Rick, truly was...fly from town to town, 600-1200 km apart, land on landing strips, usually next to accomodation. Pub meals, plenty grog, good times and the air views of terrain are magic.
    Cheers,
    Jim

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information