Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: The hose valve caper

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools

The hose valve caper

The operating levers on garden hose ball valves found in consumer outlets are way too short.
    Name:  hose valve as sold.JPG
Views: 1908
Size:  5.4 KB

I have reasonably strong hands and fingers but I about can’t turn this SOB without pliers when it’s new. My first attempt at modification didn’t work. Under that rubber cover is a skimpy metal part that looks like brass but in fact is brass-plated pot metal. Pot metal is OK if there’s enough of it, but the people who design these things keep removing metal until it no longer works, then add back three or four atoms worth and start production. When I tried to fasten a forked extension on with a machine screw, the valve lever broke. I said a bad word. (Shame!)

Ah, but I have a machine shop. I’ll not be defeated by a $7 hose valve! (Used to be $2.50)

I made a mandrel that resembles the actuating stem of the ball. That was easy peasy, 5 minutes at the lathe and 5 minutes at the mill. Quick ‘n dirty. It only needed to work once.
    The hose valve caper-hosevalve-mandrel.png

I put what was left of the actuating thing on the mandrel, chucked it up in the lathe and machined off pot metal until all that was left was a round cylinder above the part with the radially protuberant tit that limits rotation to 90 degrees. Then I machined a brass cap from a bit of 3/8” brass bar stock, making a lathe-bored cavity about 0.0015” smaller than the pot metal valve part. I silver-brazed a bit of ¼” rod to the brass cap to serve as an operating lever, and then I pressed them together in the Kurt mill vise that can exert at least a ton of force while keeping faces parallel. The part in the middle looks like brass but it isn’t; it’s brass-plated pot metal.
    The hose valve caper-hosevalve2.jpg

I dabbed a bit of Loctite 609 (the green stuff) on it before assembly but I doubt that it’ll make any difference. It probably all got squeezed out.

I reassembled it to the valve with a stainless M3 x 0.5 mm metric button-head machine screw and voila: ready to go to work hosing off the fish-cleaning table at da laaaake. It’s very easy to operate without getting hurty fingers. I hate getting hurty fingers.
    The hose valve caper-hosevalve1.jpg

The joint is just a butt joint. I made a concave curved face on the end of the rod with a ½” end mill, butted the brass parts together at the bench and silver-brazed them. The rod would bend before the joint would fail. A good silver-brazed joint can be stronger than the parent metal. And besides, ya can’t weld brass but silver brazing works very well.

These garden hose ball valves are not forever. This isn’t the first one I’ve modified, or the second. They last for a few years and then they start to leak so need to be replaced.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Don42 For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jul 15, 2022), Inner (Jul 8, 2022), Jon (Jul 8, 2022), metric_taper (Jul 8, 2022), nova_robotics (Jul 14, 2022), rlm98253 (Jul 17, 2022), Saltfever (Jul 9, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jul 10, 2022), yvonf (Jul 8, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Don42! We've added your Hose Valve Handle to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Don42's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations Don42 - your Hose Valve Handle is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Great solution for fixing a frustrating common hose valve issue. I would not be surprised to find out that shrinkflation has reduced that 3-4 atom thickness buffer to a single atom.

Some more good picks from this week:

Small Hole Saw Usage on PVC Pipe by rgsparber
    Welding Pry Bar by orioncons36
    Mini Belt Grinder by Metalgeria
    Buttonhole Drilling Jig by Philip Davies
    Folding Bike Third Wheel by rgsparber
    Bender by troyhaack
    Drome Box Trailer Attachment by Frank S
    Machinist's Clamps by ttmrj
    Welding Cart Modifications by Haslip Cycle Works
    Katana by ArmaBianca Creations

Don42 - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly - this is your 3rd Homemade Tool of the Week win! You join these other 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, Captainleeward, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, morsa, mklotz, Philip Davies, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, kess, LMMasterMariner, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale, bobs409, Mikhandmaker, thehomeengineer, old_toolmaker, celsoari, Bellevue Woodshop, Stevohdee, Kovanca Polock, Dimitris Polychronis, warsztatOdZera, Kwandotechnic, Mark Presling, Crusty, winkys workshop.

You'll notice the 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week award trophy graphic in your postbit beneath your avatar.

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information