Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 21 Drawer Cabinet

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools

21 Drawers Tools Storage Cabinet

Hello again.

Have no idea in which category this should go, probably tools organizers.

Last summer I made 21 drawers cabinet which fits inside my lathe stand.

When I bought my lathe CQ6128 x 660 (big brother of G0602) it came together
    with lathe stand. That metal stand was complete disaster. So, immediately
    afterwards I decided to fabricate new lathe stand. Checked numerous web pages
    in order to find suitable design and found really great design for lathe bench at
    Heavy duty work bench with retractable wheels

Then I searched for good wheels and found some good "Blickle" wheels -
    German made, only 50 mm high and able to stand 100 kilograms. Bought 4 pieces
    and once they arrived, started with stand fabrication. Don't have any drawings
    of that stand, but it can be seen on the pictures.
    Stand dimensions are 1400 mm x 600 mm x 850 mm high made of 40 x 40 x 4 mm square tube.
    That design with retractable wheels is good if you need to move lathe from one place to
    another and so far I moved it twice. Last time even with drawers cabinet inside.

Anyways this lathe stand is not subject of this post. Just to show what mess was
    under the lathe which made me desperate to do something about tools storage.
    Space inside the stand was big enough to put 1300 x 600 x 650 mm high cabinet.

Took me couple of months to complete my drawings with every single detail how
    to fabricate 21 drawers cabinet where I keep most of my precious tools now.

Made numerous drawings and finaly settled on 21 drawers and melamine board.
    There were also combinations with plywood (too expensive) and 16, 18, 24, 28
    drawers. Also with bearing guiders. So, in order to save space and money,
    final decision was 21 drawers, hardwood 12 x 12 mm guiders and melamine board,
    18 mm thickness for all except bottom parts of drawers which is made of 10 mm melamine.
    Even downloaded freeware program "MaxCut" for board cutting optimization and finally
    ordered melamine material to be cut and edged according to my specifications.

Here are couple of pictures and 2 drawings.

Hope that this will help someone to build good tools storage space.

LMMasterMariner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21 Drawer Cabinet-01.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-21-drawers-final.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-21-drawers-final2.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-02.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-03.jpg  

21 Drawer Cabinet-04.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-05.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-06.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by LMMasterMariner; Feb 7, 2017 at 09:30 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Corm (Feb 4, 2018), jjr2001 (Mar 27, 2017), olderdan (Feb 8, 2018), PJs (Feb 7, 2017), Workshopshed (Feb 5, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quite a masterful build LMMasterMariner! Lots of storage room for anything one could imagine. Those casters look great to me with the dual bearings and with your leveling foot system you shouldn't get any flat spots from resting on the Polyurethane. The only thing I might have done different (only because I always over pack my storage) is used 1/2 or 5/8 (13/16mm) ply for the bottoms of the big drawers. Over all a beautiful build and Well Done! Thanks for sharing it.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by PJs; Feb 7, 2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: my bad on the name
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    LM, very nicely done! I worry tho because I always seem to pull drawers too far, do you have "stops" for them?
    I would love a setup like that!

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Hello JD62, I've been thinking about the stops, but didn't make them. So, I must be very careful when pulling drawers out. Also I keep drawer with one hand while drawer is open.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Nice build. I need to make a set for my lathe table. I don't have any drawer stops in my workbench drawers that I have already built. I use a "safety" drawer. That is I always open the drawer below the one I am opening to full depth to about half depth. Makes a nice shelf for the upper drawer to sit on. It has saved me the "pickup tools mess" many times and it is still easy to remove the drawer completely when necessary. Two sets of the drawer units are full of screws, nuts and bolts so it is quite important not to dump them.

Your design is just what my lathe table needs!

Cheers, JR

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    JR, thanks for advice. I actually don't need it as long as I open drawers up to 3/4 of their length (approx. 40 cm) even some of them are overloaded. There are guiders above and below drawers and total clearance is 2 mm.

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by LMMasterMariner View Post
    JR, thanks for advice. I actually don't need it as long as I open drawers up to 3/4 of their length (approx. 40 cm) even some of them are overloaded. There are guiders above and below drawers and total clearance is 2 mm.
    Yes indeed! That was one of the design items I really liked about your unit. When I made mine I used shop made maple drawer guides that run in a slot in each side of the drawer and of course some clearance between the drawer and rail needs to be included. I have about 1/16" clearance from the guide to the slot. No secondary support is needed until like you say "the drawer is pulled out past 3/4 of their length". My drawers are 30" long and about 16 of them are full of screws. To get to the ones in the back I frequently need the additional support.

Cheers, JR

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    UPDATE
    ======

This 21 Drawers Tools Storage Cabinet has been completed long time ago, actually at the time when I posted it.
    Here are couple of fresh pictures just to show what it looks now.
    Please move this thread from 'tools in progress' forum to 'homemadetools' forum.
    Many thanks in advance / Best regards
    LMMasterMariner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21 Drawer Cabinet-2.jpg   21 Drawer Cabinet-3.jpg  

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Feb 20, 2018), jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018), PJs (Feb 4, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Just copied all the pics...Getting closer to the build.
    Thanks again, JR

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Just what I needed for my lathe bench. What is the hydraulic jack for?

Ralph

Thread Information