Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  

Thread: 3 pth ballast box

Thanks

3 pth ballast box

I am looking to build an adjustable weight ballast box using concrete layers that will drop over threaded rod. To do the job cheaply I need a platform that the blocks can rest on that will be connected to the 3 pth. Using a 3 pth trailer adapter as the lifting device, I need to support the weight of the block on the trailer adapter. I'd rather not hire a welder. Any ideas? Thanks.

Here is what I came up with. Bought a hitch frame from Ag supply and turned it around ,had welder add support and base then added my concrete formed blocks.
    3 pth ballast box-ballast300960.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 pth ballast box-counterweight2.jpg  
    Last edited by JayinVa; 07-21-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Five gallon pails for your concrete weights if you want square weights maybe recycling tubs something you can add by hand to adjust the ballast . as far as the frame you could ready rod some angle iron together and fill with concrete for your base.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JayinVa View Post
    I am looking to build an adjustable weight ballast box using concrete layers that will drop over threaded rod. To do the job cheaply I need a platform that the blocks can rest on that will be connected to the 3 pth. Using a 3 pth trailer adapter as the lifting device, I need to support the weight of the block on the trailer adapter. I'd rather not hire a welder. Any ideas? Thanks.
    It looks like you have what you need with the drum. Just load blocks or other weights into the drum. Sounds easier than lifting concrete layers.

Thanks
    I use two barrels and fill them with water lots easier than handling concrete.
    Dusty

Thanks
    Thanks, my thought was to concentrate the weight in as small an area as possible.

Thanks
    Thank you. The drum pic was one I had copied so people would know what I was talking about. I bought a 55 gal drum but need to get the steel to make the 3pth.

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 173 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

173 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information