Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ homemade tool plans, tool build guides, ebooks, and much more.

User Tag List

Thread: 6" lathe chuck to straight shaft adapter

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EclecticNeophyte's Tools

Smile 6" lathe chuck to straight shaft adapter

6" lathe chuck to straight shaft adapter-20151008_123230.jpg

About a year ago, I purchased a used South-Bend heavy 10 lathe. This opened up a whole new world of possibilities in my shop, and provided a means to make other tools and adapters (like the one in the photo above).

The lathe came equipped with a number of attachments and accessories, not the least of which were a pair of 6" chucks (3 and 4 jaw). The lathe is also fitted with a quick change gearbox, allowing the operator to cut a variety of different thread pitch/sizes. Because I wanted to be able to fit the 6" chucks to other bits of machinery (like a diy dividing head, described elsewhere on this site), a suitable adapter was produced. The adapter shown above, is threaded outside to fit both of my 3 and 4 jaw chucks. The inside is a threaded bore that screws onto the output shaft of the gear reduction drive.

Because I built the adapter some time ago, specifically to fit a surplus gear box output shaft, listing any dimensions here would be pointless (plus, I simply have forgotten them). But the concept is simple, and could be altered/modified to fit specific needs...

Thanks for reading, and I hope you find this useful!

-EN
    45 Best Harbor Freight Tool Modifications

Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 03-18-2016 at 08:58 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

Jon (03-18-2016), kbalch (03-22-2016), Paul Jones (03-22-2016), PJs (03-22-2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 1,187 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500+ Homemade Tool Plans

Thanks EclecticNeophyte! We've added your Lathe Chuck Adaptor to our Lathe Accessories category, as well as to your builder page: EclecticNeophyte's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Forge Build Guide

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information