Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools

9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.

9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement. Gear made of aluminum ( these aluminum gears last a long time ) and better than plastic gears.

9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.-004.jpg9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.-005.jpg9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.-006.jpg9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.-007.jpg9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.-008.jpg9X20 Lathe Spur Gear replacement.-009.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jan 27, 2018), PJs (Jan 19, 2018), rossbotics (Jan 19, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 19, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Captainleeward
    Thank you for all the ideas you post.
    I am unaware and have no knowledge of the lathe you have. But just a word of warning plastic gears or Tufnell gears are used in gear trains as a safety point for the machine. (Please forgive if I am incorrect in this case of your machine) The reason for having a plastic or Tufnell gear is like a fuse in a plug. It protects the machine in case of a jam up/overload. The plastic gear is the weak point in the system and the teeth can shear and protect the more expensive items like the gear box/headstock. I hope you are not offended by this observation
    Thank you again for all the ideas you post
    The Home Engineer

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 18, 2018), PJs (Jan 19, 2018)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hello The Home Engineer, I always take good advice when it comes and are thankful for people that are nice enough to share there time and knowledge to
    enrich my life Thank you sooo much. have a wonderful day....Cap. please feel free to be friends if you like.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 18, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Captainleeward! We've added your Lathe Spur Gear Replacement to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: Captainleeward's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Jan 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing! I second that safety note, on my lathe my motor is belt driven so a crash results in the belt slipping. A gear driven lathe might cause some damage if all the parts are "hard", having said that it might be possible to build a overload sensor that would trip quickly if there is a crash to retain some safety. Hope that makes sense.

Charlie

P.S. i think the capt is fine, looks like he is just making an aluminium copy of a steel gear.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolframore For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Jan 22, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I really like Cap's upgrade.
    I find that plastic gears when used in machinery are done so for several reasons Economics probably nearing the top of the list in most cases. Another reason might be for smoother quieter running especially where spur gears are concerned, engineered obsolescence would also be a huge factor to some manufactures. But being designed to fail in event of crashing would probably be rated very low on any manufactures list. At least a reputable manufacture, since such a failure would usually cause more damage to other gears requiring the replacement of several gears. installing soft keys shear pins and torque limiters at time of manufacture are both simple and economically sound procedures.
    But that is just my opinion.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Jan 23, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jan 23, 2018)

Thread Information