Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An Accidental Hand Stamp Guide

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Nice work.

My biggest problem with stamping parts is that I’m almost never stamping on a straight edge! Often the surface isn’t even flat. As a result I’ve gotten fairly good at double strikes that don’t look like double strikes.

In any event I don’t have a lot of suggestions, someone already covered using a big heavy hammer. I do make a point to kill a recess when the part allows. The recess does have to be extremely deep either, just enough to give you a line to align the stamps on. Funny thing is people will think you made the recess to look fancy or protect the stamped area when in reality you just wanted a reference to reduce the crooked print.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Nice work.

My biggest problem with stamping parts is that I’m almost never stamping on a straight edge! Often the surface isn’t even flat. As a result I’ve gotten fairly good at double strikes that don’t look like double strikes.

In any event I don’t have a lot of suggestions, someone already covered using a big heavy hammer. I do make a point to kill a recess when the part allows. The recess does have to be extremely deep either, just enough to give you a line to align the stamps on. Funny thing is people will think you made the recess to look fancy or protect the stamped area when in reality you just wanted a reference to reduce the crooked print.
    I think a few typos crept into your post. I think you meant to say "I do make a point to CUT a recess..." "The recess does NOT have to be extremely deep...."

Tis a good idea.

Thanks,

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    I just updated the article to include a steel stamp guide with adjustable stop.

https://rick.sparber.org/AnAccidentalHandStampGuide.pdf

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information