Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Actual footage of a 10mm socket disappearing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    They do not need ladders, they can morph and move around in very stealthy ways...
    Solution! WWI Doughboy trench gaiters, spats, lace up leggings?

Some threads propel themselves! Cheap fun!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    I am unbelievably happy with this thread, it is proof positive that I'm not the only "loser" ( I do mean that in a materialistic way). It has become a standing joke around my workshop. Just yesterday I dropped (it popped off of the bench actually) a paxolin special profile washer, well that knackered the old magnet trick. Moved things, swept the floor.........turned up a new one.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Me too, giddy and filled with reverie. Especially when tripping across new ideas and such.......
    Paxolin = Paxolin (SRBP) is a brown phenolic paper laminate.
    Knackered is somewhat broader = worn, tired, incomplete, faulty, defective and universally SNAFU
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Snafu is probably the closest, a knackery is where horses are taken to be put down = a knackery = abattoir.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 18, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    "always a treat to use a nut or bolt or such that you gleaned from an obscure source, even in the gutter walking the dog...handy if you never need it...cheers "

That is stuff the universe is providing for free, many today just aren't grateful. I am always amazed that something others consider rubbish that I pick up comes in handy or is needed by someone else within a few weeks of finding,(usually right after I have cleaned/fixed and tidied up).
    I think my purpose in life may be a recycling center.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 18, 2021)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Norton, I'm a big fan of recycle/re-purpose...I love making heirloom type projects for friends and family from my well seasoned (some as old as 50 years) hordes of timber and panel products. Nothing better than bringing a ratty old bit of weathered wood to a new purpose...and I've got a fair stash of NZ Kauri Pine as well...cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Nov 19, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Just yesterday I was searching for the 3/8" Allen key that is always on the top of my lathe. I had carried it to the project we are working on to tighten up an adjustment and left it on the table.
    I left it right there on the table I said after making the adjustment on this side.
    I laid it right there my partner said after adjusting this side he said.
    We moved parts and tools around from one end of the table to the other searching for several minutes until I finally said the heck with it I'll just get another one and put it on my lathe.
    This morning we carried a heavy part to the table and what was right in our way to put down the part . A piece of channel iron with 2/3s of the Allen key sticking out from under it. I swear the table is siting right over the portal into a parallel plane of existence
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 18, 2021), NortonDommi (Nov 19, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    berserklyboy,
    Yeah Kauri is nice, nice fine grain and stunning when oiled. Still quite a few Kauri boats sailing in the harbour. I know little about wood but like art I know what I like. Had/have friends involved in recovering swamp Kauri some of which is semi-petrified. Most of it goes to Japan which is annoying as I reckon high value local stuff should be processed here and value added before export. Rimu and Tawa are other local timbers I like, have little time for pine weeds, horrible stuff only fit for pallets and firewood. Damn wildlings are destroying large areas of bush and bugger-all grows under them plus unpruned they are near impossible to get through when hunting
    Some of your Aussie timbers are impressive. That Jarrah is damn strong stuff and the patterns in Spotted Beech are really eye catching.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 19, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    " I swear the table is siting right over the portal into a parallel plane of existence " - Nah, that was a prime example of the overworked Blue Guys just sorting stuff out.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Yes, indeed...there is some domestic production of touristy stuff, but the export of quantities of swamp Kauri is just wrong...we have some of the same problem here with Huon Pine in Tasmania. AUS timbers are unique in the world, if not only for their density. Our QLD Kauri (sister species) is lovely, but very soft compared to yours. NZ Kauri was imported in huge amounts in late 19th and early 20th century for flooring, and was pulled up wholesale in the 60s and 70s and sent to landfill...I collected what I could find in the 90's and use it where appropriate to this day. Rimu and Tawa are also exceptional timbers...btw, I'm married to a KIWI mainlander for 25 years, so have extensive NZ travel and understanding...We had a bach at Raglan for 12 years as well...cheers
    Jim in sunny Sth Coast NSW

Thread Information