Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: adjustable lathe depth stop

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools

adjustable lathe depth stop

Hi, I would like to show you my version of a spindle mounted chuck work stop. this one retracts allowing full use of the chuck while still mounted in the spindle. it also uses different diameter pucks that slide onto the 5/8" rod for different diameter work. It attaches at the rear of the spindle with a single Allen bolt. The main body is 1" DOM with the ends pressed onto it.The depth is set by adjusting the (cr) 5/8" rod with the thumb screw. It can be used with or without the slip on puck of your size choice, as visible in the last photo. It is for repetitive lathe work. Hope you like it. Thanks for looking.

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2935.jpg

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2917.jpg

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2920.jpg

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2933.jpg

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2912-2.jpg

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2934.jpg

adjustable lathe depth stop-107_2932.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 28, 2022 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Adjusting image attachment code syntax

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charles scozzari For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Oct 28, 2022), johncg (Oct 30, 2022), Jon (Oct 29, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Oct 29, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Oct 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    charles scozzari; a nice rendition of a spindle mounted stop. A frequently overlooked feature, of stops in general, adds a weak compression spring.
    This gains two benefits, one is positive engagement with tip of bar, felt by tapping a couple times to feel it contact repeatedly. Another and particularly with collets, is to achieve part ejection; the length allows force adjustment to any preference.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools
    Good morning, The addition of a spring will definitely be a benefit, and a will do. Thanks for your suggestion. and knowledge.
    Last edited by charles scozzari; Oct 29, 2022 at 07:29 AM.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    charles scozzari; a nice rendition of a spindle mounted stop. A frequently overlooked feature, of stops in general, adds a weak compression spring.
    This gains two benefits, one is positive engagement with tip of bar, felt by tapping a couple times to feel it contact repeatedly. Another and particularly with collets, is to achieve part ejection; the length allows force adjustment to any preference.
    Ok, now that you have me thinking, where to add the spring. I worked late last night and I'm only running on about 3 cylinders.

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools
    Thank you for your reply.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks charles scozzari! We've added your Adjustable Lathe Depth Stop to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: charles scozzari's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Ok, now that you have me thinking, where to add the spring. I worked late last night and I'm only running on about 3 cylinders.
    3 cylinders? Not so bad out of 12, different problem with 4.......... and there are engines designed to shut down half of them under minimal loads. Cadillac North Star for starters, which evolved into engines with instant pedal without idling.
    There are various mountings available; according to spring used and bar of course. Threaded, could be simple as nut and washer. Equivalent for a smooth bar might be a shaft collar, split and capscrews or type with set screws. I'd mill a flat for the setscrew or use flat tipped to not cause a divot.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information