Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount -

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Wow! All that can be said....talk about ingenious re-purposing! Great stuff...now I've got an old angle grinder....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    https://hackaday.com/2017/08/24/poss...-see-all-week/ Gets around the 'needs five miles of extension cord' problem :-)
    That's very inspirational. Thanks!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Wow! All that can be said....talk about ingenious re-purposing! Great stuff...now I've got an old angle grinder....
    Yep. When you build things for your own use, with the tools that you have. ( bought or done by yourself ). Its somewhat obvious that others can't dublicate the whole process.

There's 1000+ angle grinder hacks on youtube, 100+ most popular are made from the old style mounting, and all somewhat similar way.
    Decided to make mine to be little different. Of course, "old way" would give more U-tube views and more money... but then it would have been just another copy again. Imo.

So. Reason why i made this, even that it more likely gets less views or visibility, was that i want to make things way that i haven't seen before.

Sometimes it really pisses me, when i believe that i got whole new idea, and then notice that someone made something similar last week.

That's actually only "bad" thing in this forum, so many great ideas that its really difficult to make something that's not allready been made.
    Last edited by Tuomas; Jun 6, 2018 at 04:39 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 27, 2020), PJs (Jun 6, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    https://hackaday.com/2017/08/24/poss...-see-all-week/ Gets around the 'needs five miles of extension cord' problem :-)
    Good one bruce.desertrat! When I read the “defective smartphone charging cases” I busted up and envisioned the old B/W video of the guy on the rocket bike with the LiPo's going off in a spectacular fashion and the guy grinning ear to ear wobbling down the country road. I could go on about all the hack of the build...but it's always amazing to me how many angels are hanging around taking care of those that push the envelope.

So. Reason why i made this, even that it more likely gets less views or visibility, was that i want to make things way that i haven't seen before.

Sometimes it really pisses me, when i believe that i got whole new idea, and then notice that someone made something similar last week.

That's actually only "bad" thing in this forum, so many great ideas that its really difficult to make something that's not already been made.
    Tuomas, Congrats on your 7th Tool of the Week!

Some of the things that I find interesting about your builds is: 1- using the tool itself plus your other mods or HMT's to build the mods or New tools is constant and adaptive (quite the loop). 2- the ingenuity of your builds using good design practices and forward thinking of its uses and possible future builds/uses. 3- perhaps most important is the joy of the builds I see in your videos. I could go on but have some reservations about being a fan-boy instead of someone that appreciates quality design, builds and having fun doing it, over cranking out crap to get views or lack luster one line comments about how cool that is.

I've been on YT a long time now and removed all my vids years ago because I didn't like where it was going, however there are only ~2 handfuls that I watch regularly, comment or thumbs up on out of 120 subs. The reason for this is I learn something or see something that triggers something I've been pondering or wrestling with and the Quality of the build and edutainment value I get from all the work people put into it. It's not about SEO's imho, they will come if the above is met. The ratio's of likes/dislikes, # of views, and # of Subs to the quality of comments is an interesting statistical conundrum to me, but is tell tale of the every changing times we live through...and is predictive even without the AI google uses to garner...something...but I digress.

I get it about thinking you had that idea first and it does piss me off sometimes too, especially when I go through my old notebooks looking for something and find this or that, that someone else brought to fruition...and got paid for it! @¿@ Either way they had the giddy-up to get it to some level, crap or not.

Yup, I hear you about HMT's and all the amazing ideas, builds, craftsmanship, brilliance, etc. here contributing, sharing skills, knowledge and ideas and yet just people/individuals marking their time, adding to the deep end of the pool.
    It's a real PITA sometimes.

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jun 6, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 6, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Little fix..

Smoother joining between belt and fasing.

Little cut to the upper part of the facing, then bend.
    Edge chamfered and cut to tilted line.

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --2.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --3.jpg

Removes claceti claceti noise when belts seam hits to the facing.

Also this was asked. How clamp connects to stand.

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --1.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 8, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Good one bruce.desertrat! When I read the “defective smartphone charging cases” I busted up and envisioned the old B/W video of the guy on the rocket bike with the LiPo's going off in a spectacular fashion and the guy grinning ear to ear wobbling down the country road. I could go on about all the hack of the build...but it's always amazing to me how many angels are hanging around taking care of those that push the envelope.

Tuomas, Congrats on your 7th Tool of the Week!

Some of the things that I find interesting about your builds is: 1- using the tool itself plus your other mods or HMT's to build the mods or New tools is constant and adaptive (quite the loop). 2- the ingenuity of your builds using good design practices and forward thinking of its uses and possible future builds/uses. 3- perhaps most important is the joy of the builds I see in your videos. I could go on but have some reservations about being a fan-boy instead of someone that appreciates quality design, builds and having fun doing it, over cranking out crap to get views or lack luster one line comments about how cool that is.

I've been on YT a long time now and removed all my vids years ago because I didn't like where it was going, however there are only ~2 handfuls that I watch regularly, comment or thumbs up on out of 120 subs. The reason for this is I learn something or see something that triggers something I've been pondering or wrestling with and the Quality of the build and edutainment value I get from all the work people put into it. It's not about SEO's imho, they will come if the above is met. The ratio's of likes/dislikes, # of views, and # of Subs to the quality of comments is an interesting statistical conundrum to me, but is tell tale of the every changing times we live through...and is predictive even without the AI google uses to garner...something...but I digress.

I get it about thinking you had that idea first and it does piss me off sometimes too, especially when I go through my old notebooks looking for something and find this or that, that someone else brought to fruition...and got paid for it! @¿@ Either way they had the giddy-up to get it to some level, crap or not.

Yup, I hear you about HMT's and all the amazing ideas, builds, craftsmanship, brilliance, etc. here contributing, sharing skills, knowledge and ideas and yet just people/individuals marking their time, adding to the deep end of the pool.
    It's a real PITA sometimes.

PJ
    That post wasn't actually for Beserkleyboy, more like generally. Its very usual that people comments on u-tube that i should use " common " tools. So, that was more like general answer.

Its quite usual that tought " why i didn't think that", comes to my mind when i read threads here.
    Sometimes being surrounded with smart people makes you feel little stupid.
    But, that's just a good thing, when i feel stupid, i pay more attention for what i am reading. It kind of brings feets back to the ground.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 8, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Dust collector..

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly6.jpg

Dust collector is made from stainless steel.

Curve is cut from the 60mm pipe, three plates are from 2mm thick sheet.

Welds are made with tig, all welds are placed to the edges, that gives nicer looking final result. ( no disortion )

Pieces are cut with angle grinder.

22mm hole at the center point of the curve is drilled with cutter blade.

8mm hole that connects dust collector to the sander is done with 8mm twistdrill.

3D printed connector for vacuum cleaner.

And its ready.

Shape is designed for to be "nice" for the hand, loosening belt for changing can be done by pressing from the dust collector.

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly1.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly2.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly3.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly4.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly5.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --p%F6ly7.jpg

And last improvements... Now it should be ready.

New holder for the workpiece rest..

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --11.jpg

To keep sander tool free, i weld pieces of 2mm stainless steel to bolt and nut that holds the rest.

I weld little bigger plate pieces to the nut / bolt first.

After that i shaped wings to desired shape, finally clamped nut to the vise and twisted wing with wrench.

Then i polished welds with steelbrush.

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --12.jpg

Result is larger right angled grinding area and tool free adjust for the rest, keeping sides of the rest clear.

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --13.jpg

Thanks for checking this.
    Last edited by Tuomas; Jun 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: update..

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jun 8, 2018), Captn Roy (Aug 2, 2018), Jon (Jun 8, 2018), PJs (Jun 8, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 8, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Holy Kadoodle, You've done it again. Now I'm intimidated by smart people too.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Holy Kadoodle, You've done it again. Now I'm intimidated by smart people too.

PJ
    Lol.

I think this project shows well my way to make things..

I film a video when i build a sketch.. then i do some planning.. and finally add couple pictures to show the final result.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 8, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Tension system for powerfile attachment.
    Mounting for angle grinder will be similar with pipe sander attachment.
    Welds with stick using 1.6mm rod
    Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --fb_img_1533007359663.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --fb_img_1533007366105.jpg

Angle grinder pipe sander attachment. - quick mount --fb_img_1533007373150.jpg

To be continued...

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 1, 2018), Captn Roy (Aug 2, 2018), Jon (Jul 31, 2018), PJs (Aug 1, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 31, 2018), wolle (Apr 27, 2019)

Thread Information