Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: anvil accessory - cone mandrel

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

anvil accessory - cone mandrel

anvil accessory - cone mandrel-img_0732.jpeg

This cone has been forged from a very large bolt, the biggest I’ve ever salvaged.

anvil accessory - cone mandrel-img_0734.jpeg

Originally it held a lighting rig above a stage in a theatre. They have to be renewed at intervals.

This took 4 sessions of forging, each lasting about 90 minutes. It’s also the largest component I ve ever forged. If it hadn’t kept rolling off the anvil, it might have been done quicker. But I had smaller items in the fire too.
    anvil accessory - cone mandrel-img_0741.jpeg

I had 4 methods of keeping it in place. A T stop in the hardy hole. A cone swage, to which I had welded two lugs so it straddled the anvil at the horn end, but mostly I used chain, hooked on one side of the stand, looped over the piece and hooked on a hinged board on the other side of the stand. Once in position, I put one foot on the board and struck about 10 blows with a sledge. Then repositioned the work. If it hadn’t fallen off before, it would probably fall off now. Once or twice it fell in the quench. The chain had to be cooled each heat, since it had to be looped by hand over the yellow hot bolt. I used a holdfast made from an old C clamp, as shown above. The board tucks nicely up against the stand and probably will be jettisoned. It’s away from the fire, so it’s less of a trip hazard. however in this small workshop if I trip, I end up over a bench.

This in all was quite adventurous, hard work but worthwhile.

The quantity of charcoal was about 8 sacks, each sack weighing about 10 kg. This is homemade, too.

This is not of course a perfect cone and was dressed when cold with an angle grinder. This took only 10 minutes.

This accessory is called a mandrel by smiths although for many the word has other associations, it seems.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 11, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Cone Mandrel to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information