Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Auto-aiming bow - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

Auto-aiming bow - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (Nov 11, 2021), mccwho (Nov 12, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I get that it is techy, and cool to play with or to create, but what kind of real world application exist for a bow that requires 30 or 40 lbs of gear

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I get that it is techy, and cool to play with or to create, but what kind of real world application exist for a bow that requires 30 or 40 lbs of gear
    This is what you'd call a proof of concept. He's going to make a lighter version next. Presumably the final version would be light enough that it wouldn't need the camera support rig.

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    This is what you'd call a proof of concept. He's going to make a lighter version next. Presumably the final version would be light enough that it wouldn't need the camera support rig.

Neil
    If you say so. I still don't visualize a real world application Archery is all about being able to calculate distance velocity rate of fall and the wind directional effect on the arrow while in flight. You always want to hunt down wind but that could mean any direction to your front and sides. If it is not for practice or hunting then it is a waste of energy and time
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    So many thoughts on this. I see it as more a brain exercise than just archery. He enjoys it. Is not hurting anyone. All of the concepts are adaptable to many different applications. I am impressed that he was able to assemble all of the necessary components to accomplish the task. So many things have to be integrated into that system. I am wondering if he actually build the various components or adapted them from other more common applications. All of the research being done to bring self driving cars into more common use is one example.

In addition to all of the electronics, computing and mechanical components, even the arrows have to be all exactly the same for it to work. Any deviation in weight, shaft flex, fletching, tip geometry, etc, would affect the flight path and point of impact.

It brings to my mind.. " I am sorry Dave, I am afraid I cannot do that". We are getting closer and closer to 2001.

[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE&t=174s[link]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

mccwho (Nov 12, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    zip, nada, zero, and zilch. Archery is a game/sport of skill. Despite the arrows involved, I see no point whatsoever in this.

Not claiming to be a great archer, either, since I'm not.

Bill

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    zip, nada, zero, and zilch. Archery is a game/sport of skill. Despite the arrows involved, I see no point whatsoever in this.

Not claiming to be a great archer, either, since I'm not.

Bill
    Practicality is irrelevant with a project like this. The point is to see whether it was possible, and whether he could make it. I can imagine uses for it. Even as it sits currently, replace the bow with a camera, and the autotrigger with a shutter release and you have a camera gantry that can remain stable and predict the motion of fast-moving objects to get some fantastic photos and video.

Neil

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    Practicality is irrelevant with a project like this. The point is to see whether it was possible, and whether he could make it. I can imagine uses for it. Even as it sits currently, replace the bow with a camera, and the autotrigger with a shutter release and you have a camera gantry that can remain stable and predict the motion of fast-moving objects to get some fantastic photos and video.

Neil
    You have an automated system firing a weapon at movement without target identification other than that something is moving. And you think that a good thing?

Bill

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    You have an automated system firing a weapon at movement without target identification other than that something is moving. And you think that a good thing?

Bill
    Not if that were the entirety of the project, but it's not, so yes, I am OK with it.

Also, it is semi-auto. It won't fire until or unless he has the arming button pressed.

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information